The Start

i just had to

i just had to

-

angst

a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity

Since the beginning this path has been carved into stone.

Joan felt the electricity in her veins fire up with every passing second. It was a feeling she had both missed and wished that she never felt, because even though she was giddy, perhaps a little high on life, the electricity also fogged her mind dangerously.

"And Joan will stay here. Right after you guys draw the attention, you get the hell outta there to get the journal and destroy it, got it?"

"Aye, aye captain."

It was exactly as she remembered. Everything was on the track of what was expected of time and she still could see the bats. The scream.

The blood.

A confession.

Then nothing.

Her heart was pounding in her chest as her thumbs fiddled with the hand cuffs before her and she watched carefully as the boys set up the stage. The farewell to the others had felt stale in her mouth because it wasn't supposed to be a goodbye to them.

"Joan Destiny Henderson, you—"
"Don't worry Uncle Steve. You can't get rid of me that easily."

It was difficult for Joan to grab things and no matter how much she tried slamming the metal or yanking, she wasn't released from the handcuffs holding her hostage. While Dustin finished drilling some scrap metal onto the windows, the older two of the group went to the pavilion nearby to try and chop off the metal bracelets using a metal pipe they had found. After giving it a few stabs with Joan sitting as still as possible and looking away from the impact, Eddie gave up out of fear of hitting the brunette and sat next to her on the cement.

"Looks like your stuck..." Eddie huffed out as he dropped the metal pipe and rubbed out his hands with a tired smirk. "Probably a good thing, keep you here nice and safe 'cause what good would you be if we let you leave the trailer?"

Joan snorted and rolled her eyes, holding up her arms to show the bruises that had formed like a bracelet. "Ah, yes. I love being bruised to all hell and limited in movement. Brings me joy to be useless." Eddie snorted and stood up, extending a hand to help her up so that they could continue their mission.