42

Contrary to popular belief, Joan did have a skull rock experience in high school

Contrary to popular belief, Joan did have a skull rock experience in high school. Sophomore year with a kid named Ethan, who swam on the swim team at school. He was a outgoing and eccentric, but kind with with curly hair and soft brown eyes.

When he had asked her if she wanted to go to Skull Rock with him she had snorted her drink out of her nose, but had accepted. It was common to know what those word meant, but Joan was tired of being picked on for being a "prude" as her fellow nerds had placed upon her.

It ended up being a real nice time. Ethan picked up the vibe and didn't throw an arm around her to guide her, or pretend like she was in distress. He even let her pick the music and genuinely listened to I Prevail without any qualms. She was sure that long after that afternoon Ethan was playing their newest album from school.

The kid was something of a nature nut, which amused her greatly as he would randomly run over to a mushroom and point it out to her like a child, or explain certain invasive species while yanking on them harshly. When they had gotten to this dead crooked tree he had patted with an awe in his eyes that reminded her of her dad looking at her mom.

"This tree has gone through so much."
"Yeah? How would you know?"
"It's been dead for at least 30 years and has lasted through deforestation, earthquakes, fires, and god knows else! It's kind of an inspiration to me that if this little guy can stand through decades of bullshit, then hey. Maybe I can too."

Joan carefully placed the homemade radio on a rock as flat as she could, making a few adjustments to get as close as she could so that they could hear any incoming transmissions from their rescue party.

"...so did your, uh, dad teach you that?" Eddie attempted a conversation, gesturing dramatically the device of stolen goods with his hands as he fidgeted from his spot leaning against the rock.

Joan paused to looked up at the metalhead, shaking her head No and returning back to the modifications. "My mom actually." Her voice broke and she cleared her throat, wishing they had something to drink.

"Oh. So uh right on Henderson." Eddie nodded with a gleam of pride on his face. "Gonna find him a hottie."

"Mmmm, he's already found her." Joan mused with a humorous glance towards Eddie. "And you should try using her title of two PhD's and the leading household salary." She stood back and brushed off her knees with a pause before a wicked grin fell across her face. "And a total hottie. But I have to admit, I'm all Henderson. My little brothers are more like her in everything but chromosomes."

"But I thought your dad taught-?"

"She taught me better and easier ways." Joan smirked. "In my time radios are mostly on the FM now, so I obviously could build an FM radio easier and it would sound better, but unfortunately we're in the eighties which means lower frequencies in general so I had to make an AM radio. It's not perfect, but it's the best anyone can do with what we have."