46

Robin hopped on the boat, using heads as her stabilizer - much to Steve's chagrin - followed by Eddie who helped Nancy Wheeler onto the small vessel

Robin hopped on the boat, using heads as her stabilizer - much to Steve's chagrin - followed by Eddie who helped Nancy Wheeler onto the small vessel. Somehow, Joan got her hands on the bag, pulling out some bandages with shaky hands and throwing it over to Robin, who caught it with unabashed confusion.

She accepted the silent decision to keep her on land knowing she'd be a liability, especially with what would happen next. If she were to go under, that could mean death for any of them and while she wished she could prevent the life-lasting scars on Uncle Steve's stomach, there was little she could do.

"Who put her in charge!"

"I did." Robin and Joan answered firmly, smirking at each other and ignoring the incredulous look from the smaller boy with a cruel satisfaction. "Ditto." They both gasped after they once again said the same thing, before narrowing their eyes and trying to see if the other person could read their minds.

"Brynnyn Sin- damn."

"Boobi-"

Both girls froze, before looking away with wide eyes and the rest of the party shook their heads in their own disbelief. To their embarrassment neither girl had the ability to read minds, but refused to articulate further at the questioning looks sent their way.

"Really?" Steve asked dryly, looking over at Robin whose face was flushed red and then over at Joan who looked anywhere but at Lucas and Max, the former of the two's eyes narrowed suspiciously at the brunette. "You're a child."

"Part of the Henderson curse, I think." Joan responded sarcastically, a lazy smirk across her face as she sent a wink to Dustin playfully. "I promise you. It's only downhill from here."

Steve felt a shiver go down his spine as if he could feel the future pass over him ominously.

"Joan." Eddie interrupted as Dustin threw the compass to Nancy and Steve prepared to push the boat out into motion, but clammed up as soon as all eyes were on him from the sudden change in tone. Instead of what he wanted to say, he resorted back to Tolkien references as a form of communication. "...E-Eomer said, 'How is a man to judge what to do in such times?'."

The timetraveller licked her lips and nodded, the perfect quote curated for such a time as this that almost had her smirking from the cliche of it all. Joan took a deep breath in and sent the words over to him with careful articulation and precision."...A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it." Eddie's face was unreadable and Joan feared she may have hit a nerve, and tried to reach out for him.

"Thats not the correct response." Dustin whined looking over at his sister or... daughter? with furrowed eyebrows. "'Good and evil have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them,-"

"Yeah, yeah, you're a nerd, we get it." Steve snapped as he threw the bag into Dustin's arms and shoved the boat forward, quickly getting along with the others and looking back guiltily at Dustin's offended yell.