Chapter 30: New Years Baby!

(Lily's POV)

I was getting my hair done by Renata since Jane was with Alec putting the finishing touches on the party decorations. I wasn't sure when to tell Edward that this New Years party is mostly to celebrate my adoption into the Volturi. He probably knew since secrets are hard to keep from a mind reader but I still wanted to say something. I sighed. He came back from his conversation with Tanya apologizing to me in his mind. He told her what happened the day we met. While I am embarrassed that someone else now knows, I understood why he told her. He wanted her to know why I'm being the way I am. And it's true. I don't want any of them to be unhappy. I genuinely care for them. I don't want to hurt them.

"You are all ready Princess." I looked up and saw how adorable I looked. I also looked very vulnerable. I wiped those thoughts from my mind and smiled. This is a day of celebration, not of negative emotions or vibes. Not of pain. I hopped down from my seat in front of my vanity and waited for Edward to meet me at my room. It had only been a minute that my feet were on the floor when a knock sounded at my door. I grinned genuinely and ran to the door. Renata chuckled and opened the door for me. Edward stood on the outside of my door looking dashing in his suit. I'll have to be sure to thank Alice later. She told me and him that she put in an order at her favorite tailor here for a suit and dress for us. He picked me up and kissed my cheek.

"My lovely Lily. You look beautiful." I blushed and nuzzeled into his neck. I heard Renata chuckle from behind.

"I'll guide you to the ballroom. Everyone should be there now." I perked up as we walked?

"What kind of food will be here this year?"

"I don't know Princess. Jane, Alec, Felix, and Demetri were left in charge of your feast. Though I do know that Esme was called for references to dishes that you like. They wanted to combine some of your new favorites with old favorites." Huh. So that's why Jane had been a little distant. I thought she just wanted a break from me.

"Okay. That sounds fun." Edward chuckled.

"Esme must have been beaming, having been called to help with a party for you." I nodded. Mommy Esme always seems so happy when it involves helping out with something for me. I could never fully understand how helping out with something for me makes her so happy. But then again, she finds joy in helping people. It's what makes her an amazing being. When we reached the ballroom for the New Year Party, I began to get nervous. What if they all don't like Eddie? After the amount of time I spent with other people, I realized how coveted I am by the Volturi and the guard. As we walked in, I was in awe. The color scheme for this year was red, yellow, and orange. It was beautiful. The room became quiet as we walked in. All guard members stopped talking and bowed to me despite me still being in Edward's arms. I looked at Eddie.

"Put me down please." He nodded and set me on my feet. I walked around greeting everyone while introducing Eward to them. I kept myself sounding pleasant but inside, I was boiling in nerves. No one was really impressed with him but they all kept it to themselves and were polite. After making it through the guard, we walked to where great-grandpa Aro, great-grandpa Marcus, and great-uncle Caius were sitting. I climbed into great-grandpa Marcus' lap. He gave me a gentle pat on my head.

"Are you enjoying your day, my child?" I nodded. He smiled while I nuzzled into his chest. Most of the guard knew I favored Marcus over Aro. Aro thought that I just gave Marcus a lot of attention to placate him but it was really just the fact that he is himself as an individual. I preferred great-grandpa Marcus' company over great-grandpa Aro and great-uncle Caius. He hugged me close. When I first arrived here, I constantly clung to great-grandpa Marcus. I couldn't leave him. He was alone. And it was all great-grandpa Aro's fault. But great-grandpa Marcus doesn't know that. He needs me. Somehow I've kept this secret to myself all this time and still find it in me to care about great-grandpa Aro. He did it to maintain control but also to keep the brothers together. I can't say I like his method but I can't find it in me to criticize him for his method.