Chapter 32: Cousin Tanya

(Lily's POV)

It was Friday and I was dreading going home. I had convinced Edward to take me out after school just so it would take longer for us to go home. I waited at my school this time instead of running to his so he would have to drive to get to me. I know he is going to get suspicious because of this but I can try to divert his attention from my behavior.

"She you later Lily. My mom's here. Good luck with your cousin." I waved at Kavina.

"Thanks. Have fun in Cali. Don't get too tan or I may not recognized you when you get back." She laughed as she got in her moms car. James and Victoria were still standing beside me since their rides weren't here either. Laurent didn't come to school today. Most likely to go to his aunt's house. His parents were leaving today.

"My older sister is coming home this weekend." I glanced over at Victoria. I knew she had a sister but she never spoke about her before. "She had no idea of what had happened. She was away at college and staying with a friend while going to school. Mom and dad kept this from her and made up excuses for reasons why she shouldn't come home for the holidays. She called one day while my dad was at work and my step-mom answered. So she's coming home this weekend to find out why she was never told anything. My mom is also coming. I haven't seen her since the day she left." I looked down at my feet.

"You know, it's great that you have a sister that cares. And it's great that you know your parents." I saw her turn to look at me from the corner of my eye. "I never got the chance to know my parents. I was a few months old when I met my foster family. Then three years old when I came to live with the Cullen's. What I'm saying is, I know your situation wasn't ideal. But it could always be worse. Try to use this weekend to reconnect with your mom and sister. Let your mom know how her leaving and blaming you made you feel. If she apologizes, then you move on from there. As for your sister, hang on to that relationship. It's the best one you have besides your friends." Victoria's step-mom pulled up before she could say anything else. She sighed and hopped in the car. James' mommy pulled up at the same time as Edward. He gave me a hug and climbed into the car while I got into the backseat of Eddie's car. As he turned out of the school driveway, I sat quietly thinking. Whoever was caring for me before abandoned me in a forest in the middle of winter. No coat or blanket. I survived because I'm not human. I don't know how I came to exist. Not a human. Not a full vampire. Not a full child of the moon. Not a full witch. How did these things mix?

"Penny for your thoughts, Lily?" I looked up and saw Edward looking at me through the rearview mirror. He looked concerned. I'm not usually this silent after school.

"I actually had a decent talk with Victoria today. She's finally going to get to see her sister after all these years. But then, thinking about her family drama and how it affected her. And then thinking about my own blood related family, or lack there of, I guess I'm feeling down and questioning my existence more. How was I created? Who created me? Will I ever find the answer to these questions? Why was I abandoned. Did I do something to make that happen?" I shook my head realizing I was spiraling and Alec wasn't around to help me. "I just feel like a part of me is still missing after all this time. I don't like to think about it because I've gained so much more because of it. I met the Volturi. I met you, my mate, and the rest of the Cullen's. I gained more than I probably lost. But at what cost?" He looked stunned and I couldn't blame him. Carlisle and Esme had been working with me on being open about how I truely feel and this is the most progress I've made ever since joining the Olympic Coven.

"Do you still want to go out or would you rather we go to our meadow and watch clouds together. Just let your worries float away with the clouds for a while. We could always go somewhere else if you need to love. I know that you're only stalling so you can spend the least amount of time around Tanya. We don't have to go home today and I don't always have to spend time with them." I smiled liking the idea of going to our meadow.