Chapter 19: First Day of School (Part 3)

(Edward's POV)

          We soon arrived in the elementary school parking lot. I received a text from Lily for me to come in to meet her teacher. Alice chuckled when I mentioned it but was blocking me from whatever vision she had about it. "Just know that Lily is someone who really loves playing mind games with humans." I rolled my eyes at her. That was probably something she picked up while living with the Volturi. I got out and followed her scent to her classroom and saw her sitting with her school counselor. They were talking in hushed voices but the counselor wasn't talking low enough so I know they were talking about her having two families.

          "Hi. Are you Edward Cullen?" I looked at the lady who stopped me and smiled. This was the teacher.

          "Yes. I am Lily's adoptive big brother. Thank you for having her today in your class. Were there any problems with her today? She does have a problem with new things from time to time."

          "Oh no. No problems really. She is a very lovely and well behaved child. Just a bit, ostentatious." That choice of words caused me to cock my head to the side slightly in confusion. My Lily, ostentatious? She sighed. "How is Lily at home? Any problems?"

          "No. No problems at all. Just as you said, she is a very lovely and well behaved child. She is very smart. She helps out with things that she can help out with."

          "Actually, what I meant is..." She sighed again. "Has anything ever happened to her? Has anyone ever touched her inappropriately?" My eyebrows raised and I felt myself get defensive. I was suddenly ran into. I looked down at my legs and saw a crying Lily holding on to them. I picked her up and hugged her. I looked at the counselor with accusation clear in my eyes. Lily patted my back sending waves of calm through me. I took an unnecessary deep breath and looked back at her teacher.

          "No ma'am. Nothing of the sorts has happened to Lily under our care. And as far as we know, nothing like that has happened to her under the care of her other family. A lot of investigations went on to ensure that nothing had happened to her before we claimed her as part of our family. Do you honestly think that with her level of intelligence that anyone out of either of her families would be walking a free person if any of us had touched her? She even has a cell phone and knows how to call the police in both countries."

          "I'm sorry. I really didn't mean..."

          "Of course you didn't. No one ever means it like that." Alice appeared in the doorway. I guess I must've changed whatever her vision was earlier and it wasn't good. Come on Edward. Let this go. I sighed. "I will leave you with this last thought. Pay close attention to some of your other students. They are the ones you should really worry about what's going on in their home lives." I turned and walked out with Alice. I was still infuriated with what was discussed in the classroom but at the same time, I was confused. Lily hadn't once defended anyone. And why was she crying. Instead of driving us home, Alice drove us to the hospital where Carlisle was working. We saw the minivan parked next to Carlisle's Mercedes. "Why are we here Alice? And why is Esme here?"

          "I don't know why Esme is here. But I saw that Lily was going to go looking for Esme when we get home but she wasn't home." I nodded and we got out. As we walked in, Chief Swan was also in the front lobby.

          "Hello Edward. I see you have little Lily. Is she okay?" He tried to peek at her face but I turned slightly away. Luckily Alice knew what to say.

          "She's actually just getting out of school. Today was her first day and we found out that Esme is here so we were bringing Lily to her."