Chapter 23: Anger and Exhaustion

(James' POV)

I was pacing in my room wondering how I should do this. Halloween was two days away and I wanted to invite Lily to my Halloween party. I finally get to have one. Momma and mommy said that since Lily is new that I could have one. My dilemma is how to invite her. "Why is this so hard?"

"James? Why are you yelling?" I turned around and saw mommy in the doorway to my room. I didn't even notice her come upstairs.

"Well, I was trying to figure out how to invite Lily to my Halloween party. She seems to always be very direct about things but I'm not that way or at least I don't feel that way. I don't know how to ask her."

"Do you want me or momma to ask her and her mom?" I shook my head no.

"I feel like it needs to be me who asks her."

"Then why don't you treat it like when you would ask her to come over for a play date? You seem very calm when you do that." She had a point. I thought about it and it seemed like a very good idea. I smiled at her and gave her a hug.

"Thanks for helping me mommy. I love you." She hugged me back.

"Of course James. I will always be here to help you. Momma too. We love you so much. We've told you how much we went through to have you. How I fought to have you, my sweet boy." I snuggled into mommy's warm hug. She always gave me hugs multiple times a day. Mommy had a special someone before momma and they didn't get along on everything. Mostly when mommy said she wanted to have me and not some stranger. I really love my mommy and my momma. They were the best and they both loved me very much.

"Okay mommy. Let me go. I gotta go call Lily!" She chuckled.

"You really like hanging out with Lily, huh?" I blushed and nodded. "Alright. Let's go call her mom." I nodded. Mommy and momma knew Lily had a cell phone but they still called her mommy anyway. We walked down the stairs and past momma who was on the couch reading a book. "Really Violet? Are you really going to read that right now? He's fine." I looked at mommy and she seemed worried about whatever it is that momma was reading.

"I know but I worry."

"What's going on mommy? Momma?" They both smiled at me and shook their heads.

"It's okay James. Mommy and I are just looking out for you." I looked at the book on the coffee table. It said something about raising a child with two mom's. I wonder what it was about but didn't get to think about it too much because mommy had grabbed my hand to finish bringing me to the house phone. She dialed Lily's mommy's number and waited for her to answer which didn't take any longer than a second.

"Hi Esme. Yes, I am doing well. I was calling because Violet and I have decided to let James have a Halloween party this year and he wanted to invite Lily. Is she home?" Mommy's smile slipped for a moment. "Yes. Okay. I'll let him know. Okay. You too." She hung up the phone and looked at me. "Lily is at Laurent's house right now." I put on my serious face.

"Let's go see him then." I was angry. How could he just invite Lily over and not tell me. Mommy laughed a little and grabbed her car keys.

"Violet, we're heading over to Laurent's house!"

"Drive safely my love. Have fun James! Come give momma a hug before you leave." I ran to go give her hug. I ended up hugging her legs because she had just stood up.

"I love you momma."

"I love you too James. You are the best child ever. The smartest too." I laughed.

"That isn't true anymore momma."

"Why not?" I blushed.

"Because Lily exists."