BOOK ONE: CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The last month at the Burrow had been the best month of Veronica's life. Charlie had given Veronica a tour of the house as soon as he came out of the fireplace that first day. He showed her the family clock, the gnomes in the backyard, and the room she would be sharing with his sister, Ginny. Veronica had insisted that she could just sleep on the couch; she didn't want to invade Ginny's space and force herself onto her. But Charlie wouldn't even hear it, and after seeing Ginny's genuine excitement to share a room with her, Veronica relented. The seven Weasley siblings helped her unpack and move in while Molly Weasley prepared dinner.

Once dinner was ready, they all sat around the kitchen table, and Veronica knew this was where she belonged. These people had become like her family more than her parents ever were. For the first time since her grandparents died, she was genuinely and truly happy. And dinner time with the Weasley's was wonderful! There was never a silent moment; there was always constant chatter as they weaved from side conversations to a group conversation and back seamlessly. Veronica always wished she had siblings to keep her company, but now she had something better: she had a family.

After dinner, Veronica watched in awe as Molly used magic to clear the table and wash the dishes. It was moments like this that made her incredibly glad to be a witch. They had been sitting around the kitchen table chatting for a half hour before Molly brought out a beautiful birthday cake that she had made herself while Veronica and the gang had been unpacking. Veronica could barely see through the tears welling in her eyes as they sang her happy birthday, Charlie singing the loudest and most off key of them all with his arm around her shoulder. She was home, and they both couldn't be happier.

But now, it was the first of September, and it was time to go back to Hogwarts.