BOOK SEVEN: CHAPTER THREE

"Charlie, can you give us a moment?" Veronica whispered over Felix's head as she rubbed up and down his back soothingly.

"Of course," he whispered back as he reached over and caressed her cheek softly. "I'll be just outside if you need me, okay? I'll wait for you."

Veronica shook her head. "You don't have to, I don't know how long we'll be here."

Charlie narrowed his eyes at her. "You know I don't care. I'm waiting. Take your time." And before she could insist, he stood and made his way out of the Hall.

Once Charlie was gone, Veronica heard Felix whisper the words she had dreaded to hear but knew he was feeling. "It's my fault. It's my fault he's gone."

"What are you talking about? It's not your fault, Felix."

"Yes, it is. The last letter I sent him before he stopped responding. I said I loved him. I know we've been together for so many years, but this was the first time I ever said it. I just wanted him to know... I don't know why but something was telling me to say it. But I didn't think about what would happen if his parents saw it. I just know that's what happened. They saw my letter and killed him... because of me." He sobbed even harder now.

Veronica pulled him off her and forced him to look at her as she cupped his cheeks with her hands. Gently, she wiped his tears. "Listen to me, Felix. This is exactly why I wanted to make sure I talked to Dumbledore first. I wanted to make sure I had the details before I talked to you. Art... his parents didn't kill him. It really was an accident. And his mum... she died too. So please, don't blame yourself. If anything, you should be glad you said it because at least you had the chance to tell him before he died. He died knowing how you felt about him. He died knowing you loved him as much as he loved you."

Felix sighed in relief, but the sadness on his face wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon. "Thanks, Veronica, I needed this. Thank you for getting the info from Dumbledore for me."

"Of course. I needed it too. We'll get through this, Felix." She pulled him into her again and hugged him tight before they both stood and walked out of the hall. Veronica offered to walk him to Ravenclaw Tower, but he declined her offer, wanting to be alone.

Veronica watched him walk away as Charlie, who had been leaning against a wall nearby waiting for her, came up beside her and put an arm around her shoulder. "Are you okay?" he whispered as he placed a soft kiss on her temple.

Veronica shook her head as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. "But I will be."