BOOK THREE: CHAPTER SIX

"And Maribelle Jackson has caught the snitch! With that, Ravenclaw beats Hufflepuff 400 to 150, cementing themselves into the finals against Gryffindor!"

Veronica beamed as she landed on the pitch and joined her teammates in a group hug. "Well done, everyone! That was a great game." Emily shouted over the screams and cheers coming from the crowd above them. "Singer, that was an excellent attack on the opposing seeker, that totally won us the game. I'll see you all tonight at the party, okay? Amazing job everyone!"

Veronica couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she made her way out of the changing rooms. Looking around, she couldn't see Charlie anywhere and figured he was stuck amidst the throng of students that were trying to leave the stands all at once. It would probably be a while before he made it to her. Finding a decently empty area, she sat down to wait for him.

"Hey Veronica, great game today. Congrats on the win."

Veronica's face lit up as she spotted Artemis approaching her. "Oh wow, thanks Artemis! Hey, I haven't seen you in a while, how've you been?"

"Not bad, you? Is Archie still giving you a hard time?"

"Nope, I dealt with that situation. I took care of it."

Artemis nodded his approval with a smirk. "Well done, I'm impressed." The two chatted for a while until Artemis noticed Charlie hovering nearby. Veronica had seemed to notice him as well. "Anyway, I'll let you get back to your boyfriend, I'm sure he's eager to congratulate you on your win."

"Charlie's not my boyfriend!" Veronica hoped the smile on her face and forced laugh were believable because inside, it broke her heart to say those words.

"Well, in that case, would you be interested in getting a butterbeer with me at the Three Broomsticks sometime?"

Veronica's eyes widened and mouth opened slightly. "Artemis Lovegood! Are you asking me out on a date?"

Artemis chuckled softly. "I am, but if you have to ask for clarification, then I'm clearly not doing a very good job at it."

"No, no, I just wasn't expecting it, that's all," Veronica felt heat rise to her cheeks as she smiled. Perhaps this was what she needed to start getting over Charlie. "I'd love to."

Artemis beamed. "Great! How does Saturday at 4 sound? We can meet in the Courtyard and walk down to Hogsmeade together."

"Sounds good, I'll see you then Artemis."

"Call me Art, love." After placing a gentle kiss on the back of her hand, Artemis strolled away with a triumphant look on his face.

He didn't seem to notice Charlie glaring daggers at his back as he walked away. "What was that all about?" He tried to keep the jealousy and anger out of his voice, and it seemed to work as Veronica turned to him.

"Artemis just asked me out," she shrugged nonchalantly.

"And? What did you say?"

"I said yes. I mean, he's a nice guy. And he's cute. I don't really have a reason to say no." Tell me not to go, Charlie. Tell me not to go because I should be with you instead.

"Nice, I'm sure you'll have a great time."

Of course. Of course he wouldn't say that. He doesn't like me like that. Why would I let Tonks get my hopes up? "Thanks. I think so too. Now come on, I need a nap by the lake."

As they walked together, Charlie felt a pain in his chest. Is this what heartbreak feels like? He knew it would only get worse from there. He would be forced to watch the love of his life in the arms of another. It would be torture.

***

"Veronica, don't do this! You don't even like him, you're just using him to try and get over Charlie. That's not a nice thing to do. You're leading the poor guy on."

"Stop it, Dora. I already told you I feel bad about using him, but I have to go. I've already said yes. Besides, he's cute, and I really think this could be what I need to get my love for Charlie out of my system. And who knows, maybe Artemis will be the one."

"And what about Charlie? This is probably killing him to see you going on a date with someone else!"

Veronica sighed heavily as she threw her hands into the air. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you. Charlie. Only. Sees. Me. As. A. FRIEND! I have to stop pining over someone that doesn't feel the same about me."

"Veronica! It–"

"I'll see you later Dora, alright? I'll find you to let you know how it went." And with one last glance in the mirror, Veronica brushed off a piece of non-existent dust from her dress before leaving her dorm and making her way to the Courtyard, where her date was ready and waiting.

"You look beautiful, Veronica."

Veronica avoided his gaze as heat rose to her cheeks again. "Thank you. You look good too."

Together, the two made their way to the Three Broomsticks and sat in a booth at the back of the room to have some privacy. Throughout the date, the two got to know each other better. Veronica discovered that Art had a younger sister named Luna, and it was obvious how much he adored her; his eyes lit up as he spoke about her, and from the sound of it, the two were very close despite the age gap. It was adorable. Veronica told Art about her grandparents and how close she was to them before they died, but she kept most of the details to herself. That seemed to be commonplace for her: being unable to share the whole truth with anyone other than Charlie.

Before they knew it, they had spent a few hours together, and it was time to get back to Hogwarts. As they got back to the Courtyard, Artemis brought the back of her hand to his lips and gave it a soft kiss. "I had a great time tonight. I'd love to do it again sometime."

"So would I." And she meant it. Although she didn't have any romantic feelings for him, she did enjoy his company, and it gave her an opportunity to be away from Charlie for a while. She hoped the more time spent away from him, the better her chances of getting over him.

After setting up another date, Veronica turned to walk back to her dormitory, but Art called after her. "Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"I'd love to, Art."

As she walked away, Veronica felt terrible for using him. But little did she know, Artemis was using her too, but it would be a while before either of them found out the truth.

***

The next morning, the news about Veronica and Artemis had spread around the school, but the news of another new couple had also gotten around, and this news broke Veronica's heart. Charlie had begun dating a Gryffindor girl in their year that she hadn't paid much attention to before. But now, Veronica knew she didn't stand a chance. This girl was adorable and sweet, and she was perfect for Charlie. They were perfect together, and Veronica had to pretend to be happy for her best friend when all she wanted to do was cry.

"See, what did I tell you Dora? Charlie doesn't like me like that."

"Veronica! You're so... Charlie's only dating her because you're dating Lovegood. He's trying to get over you just like you're trying to get over him. You two, you're... you're both unbelievable!"