BOOK SIX: CHAPTER TEN

Veronica could hardly believe how quickly this year had flown by. It felt like just yesterday they had won the first game of the season, and now, she was being lifted up and thrown in the air by her team as they celebrated their triumph. They had defeated Gryffindor in the final game of the season, and they were now the Quidditch Cup champions.

That phrase alone brought tears to Veronica's eyes. With everything that had happened last year with Archie, she had wondered if she was capable of leading her team to victory. Part of her had even debated on whether or not she was even worthy of being the Captain. But now, she had no doubts; her hard work over the last year had paid off. It also helped that her team had played beautifully throughout the entire season, so they had made her job as Captain much easier and that had been such a relief.

And to top off an amazing season, Reggie had come to watch the finals against Gryffindor, and he brought his girlfriend with him. Veronica had heard so much about her from Reggie's letters and was thrilled to finally get to meet her, but his description of her paled in comparison to the real thing. Joanna Sullivan was gorgeous and absolutely hilarious without trying. She was sweet and kind but would defend those she cared about in an instant. And she was brilliant. Veronica felt like she could talk to her for hours and knew they would be good friends. Plus, the couple was adorable. Veronica couldn't be happier for her friend.

***

As they entered the Burrow, Veronica could smell something sweet in the air and recognized it instantly. Running into the kitchen, she saw Molly pulling something out of the oven and didn't even need to see it to know what it was. "Rhubarb crumble!!!"

Molly chuckled as she turned with the crumble in her mitted hands. "You guessed it! Fresh out the oven just in time for you. Let me cut you a piece, darling. But don't let the other kids see you."

Veronica beamed. "It's our secret!"

***

"Charlie! Veronica! Your letters from Hogwarts are here!"

The pair bounded down the stairs and grabbed their letters off the kitchen table before running into the living room. Feeling around the envelope from the outside, Veronica beamed as she turned to Charlie. "I think I feel a badge in mine!"

"Me too!"

As they looked at each other, they couldn't help but radiate excitement. They both knew they had been chosen as the Head Boy and Head Girl for their House, and they couldn't be happier. This had been a dream of theirs since they started school. They had achieved their goals of being Prefects and Quidditch Captains, and now, they could add this to their list of accomplishments as well.

***

Veronica awoke that morning to Ron and Ginny jumping on her bed. "Wake up! It's your birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! It's time to get up!"

Veronica chuckled as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Before she could say anything, Charlie came bursting in. "Hey! Let her sleep in! It's her birthday!"

Veronica smiled as she sat up. "It's alright, Charlie. They're just excited, and I'm up now anyway."

Charlie shook his head. "Come on, you two. Go wait for her downstairs."

The pair begrudgingly left the room as Charlie came and sat on the edge of her bed. "Happy birthday, Ronnie."

"Thanks, Charlie. I can't believe I'm actually 17. It feels so weird."

Charlie nodded enthusiastically. "I know! You don't have the trace on you anymore, and you get to do magic outside of Hogwarts now! Do a spell."

Veronica smiled as she opened her hand and held it face up. Without saying a word, tiny little colorful fireworks flew from her palms and exploded into fun shapes in front of them. Charlie stared in awe; he loved watching her do magic.

Knowing he could sit there with her all day, Charlie stood. "Come on, get dressed so we can go down for breakfast. Mum's got a whole spread made for your birthday, and she'll be up here any minute to drag us out by our ears if we're gone much longer."

Veronica chuckled, knowing she wouldn't put it past Molly to do just that. Quickly changing, the two made their way downstairs where she found the whole Weasley family gathered around the table, including Bill. Veronica's eyes watered as she hadn't been expecting to see him. Running into his arms, they held each other tight.

"Happy birthday, Ronnie."

Veronica couldn't even speak; she was so filled with joy, she thought she might explode. And while she didn't know what her and Charlie's final year at Hogwarts would hold, she knew that it would be okay as long as she had her family by her side.