The palace visit

Part 2 of The uncanny encounter

     Minghao's gaze widened as he turned the corner of the street. In front of him, was the Royal Palace of Saraset. And it was truly a sight to behold. 

     Coming from Holder's Village, a quaint town slightly less well-known than the other villages in Saraset, Minghao had never really stepped foot into the heart of the country, where the royal palace was located. It was only two weeks ago when he stumbled upon an execution did he have the chance to visit the palace. Sure, he had seen pictures of the magnificent place somewhere in children's books. Yet, it was never quite like seeing it in person.

     He gathered his courage to approach the guards stationed in the perimeters of the castle. "Good morning, uh... Which way is the entrance to the palace?" The question came out in a rush, confusing the guard for a moment. 

     "Visitors are not allowed at all times on castle grounds." The guard replied curtly, waving Minghao away. The healer was taken aback. 

     "No, you don't understand. I was- I was summoned by Prince Junhui. I'm a healer." Minghao responded, hoping this would do the trick. He was gaining a lot of attention from passing citizens, who whispered as they scurried past the palace. The guard chuckled harshly.

     "Nice try, lad. Your Highness, Prince Junhui, does not randomly summon people to the palace. Now, if you will, please leave before I am forced to make you." The guard's patience was wearing thin. 

     However, Minghao wasn't about to give up without a fight. "Wait, can you at least pass him this letter? Read it if you want, but just let him know I'm outside the palace." Minghao pleaded, stuffing a folded piece of paper into the guard's hand. The guard frowned and discussed the matter with the rest of them stationed near him. 

     Not long later, a tall man with unruly black hair that fell over his eyes and soft features walked out, a dark blue cloak billowing with each step that he took. He took the letter before disappearing through the great big doors of the palace. Minghao waited patiently, tapping his foot on the ground for any form of a reply. 

     "Mr Xu, correct? Please come in. The Prince is expecting you." The same man with the blue cloak said, gesturing for Minghao to enter the palace grounds. The healer looked in awe at the building in front of him, admiring the tasteful decorations throughout the castle. Good looking, and has good taste in wallpaper.

     The blue-cloaked man made a simple conversation while they walked through multiple doors. "I am the palace master, Master Nathaniel. Call me Nathan." Minghao hummed in response. 

     Soon enough, they stopped somewhere in the palace, in front of a room that must've been huge. Minghao stood a little more upright as Nathan reached for the door handle. "I have to warn you, they're in a... weird mood." Nathan hesitates, opening the door forcefully. Minghao held his breath, expecting to see Prince Junhui and his brother, the king to be sitting regally, waiting for his appearance.

     Except what met his gaze turned out to be the sight of the King of Saraset, holding his brother in a headlock, while the prince flung his arms around wildly in an attempt to escape. "Get off dickhead!" "Watch your mouth!" Minghao watched the interaction between the two brothers for a solid 5 seconds before Nathan cleared his throat obnoxiously loudly. The two brown-haired royals stopped for a moment to look up, eyes simultaneously widening when they spotted the healer at the doorway. They immediately untangled themselves and stood straight. Junhui, huffing and slightly red in the face reached up to smooth his mussed-up hair. Minghao caught himself before the prince realised he was staring.