Page 12

"Can I ask something," I nodded to him, curious as the lights in front of us flickered from the rides, "so, uh what's up with your last name being Feathertail, I heard it earlier during fencing."

"I'm adopted," I looked straight at him, my face holding no emotion as I licked my lips turning back to the lights. "Shit, I'm sorry I didn't mean to," laughing I stopped him, "you mean me no offense, Xavier." He nodded, resting his arm over his knee, "can I ask why?" I shrugged looking away, "my mother is a distant cousin of the Addam's technically so Wednesday's parents took me in. My father however is of course not from the family. "

"It's complicated," Xavier looked sorrowful, sorry for me, "it was just that her body couldn't handle my birth. And my father-"I smiled looking at him for a moment, "-died the day after she did, heartbreak is the greatest woe of all for my kind." I paused taking in the lights for a second before pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my head on the top of them as my arms wrapped around myself, "immortals who mate for life with mortals make for a death sentence, unless you bond yourself to each other, but of course my father couldn't because she didn't know what he was." I veered the subject to the left just a bit, "he wanted to name me Morel after the plant, and she chose Morella after her favorite story so my name is of two origins." I shoved two fingers up in a peace sign with a smile as I turned my head to look at him, "nightshade?"

"Yeah... irony is a funny thing, huh," I sighed looking up at the sky as he looked over to watch my side profile, "my father is the reason I was accepted here, and of course my 'species' but I understand. Being the only descendant of Edgar Allen Poe is quite a feat to have attend the school, and then there's being the last of my kind... makes the school look good," I trailed off with a whisper and he looked shocked, "wait hold on you mean, you're not only related to the guy who they named our school after but you're also immortal," I nodded, "what are you?" I opened my mouth as the sound of a throat being cleared was heard further down the hill, "Miss Feathertail, Mr. Thorpe, it's time to go." I sighed standing up, "I'm not supposed to say anything about what I am, something about striking fear in the population, and my own safety." Dusting myself off I didn't wait for him to stand before I started forward, I did however pause and wait for him to follow in my steps, "so does that mean you're not gonna tell me?" I gave him a hum, "I have a feeling you'll find out eventually anyway..." He stood by my side and I began to walk down the slope with him trailing just beside me, "should I be scared?" I spoke with no hesitation, "everyone should."

I stopped in my thoughts, speaking to him with genuine words, "but in saying that... I don't want anyone to be scared of me like the rest of my ancestors, I don't like the feeling it brings me all of the time..."