Page 48

Smoke bellowed from my nostrils while I walked on the fine line of enraged flames, sauntering down the marbled staircase in my aggravation I peered around cautiously. No one, not a single soul wandered the entry to the school; except Enid that is.

"Are you okay? How'd it go?" She saddled up to my side with quick strides, "I've been lied to, my father is remorseful, my mother is guilty and Weems knew my birth father... I am what you would describe as totally betrayed on an unfathomable level." She had an awkward expression plastered on her face as she fiddled with her hands, "what are you gonna do?"

I huffed in response, "there is nothing to do... I suppose you haven't seen my little brother," I didn't expect her to say yes for even a second so when she shook her head side to side I only grunted, "and your mother?"

"Avoiding her is a specialty I've perfected, unfortunately brunch and the picnic tomorrow won't be avoidable, no doubt she'll ask me if I've wolfed out yet..." Casting her a look as I tilt my head, I realize she was certainly not happy with her mother around, as soon as parents weekend was announced she had seemingly curled in on herself. "Wednesday said that your family is going into town for a session with that therapist, are you really going?"

"I'm afraid I wasn't invited, besides there's nothing to talk about with that woman. She only focuses on my parental figures," Enid gave a simple nod, "stay with me then?" Eyeing her from the side I nodded, no intention of leaving her either way... 

"Cool, thanks... So I hear we're having roasted rabbit later." Grunting I nodded, "you'd think this would call for a reprieve from classes at the very least..."

"Or at least let you rest some, are you feeling okay?" Nodding, I replied, "I'm fine, a few hours was all I needed... Although I heard from Kent after everyone had left last night that you were having troubles with some specific townies?" She swallowed nervously with a laugh as she waved me off, "oh it's nothing," eyeing her I leveled her with a stare, "they were just messing with me is all, Ajax scared them off."

"He told Kent they were taunting you, chanting for you to wolf out..."

"It's nothing, promise."