Parge 20

"So what exactly is...Thing?" I looked up at the boy blankly, "a hand," he kept his questioning look and I spoke again, furthering my explanation but slowly, "a hand, with feelings..." He nodded, "sorry I didn't mean to offend you, or Thing." I nodded, "he says it's fine," The fingers tapping on the desk let me know all I needed to know, "is he okay? She okay?" I smiled laughing under my breath, surprising him a bit at the action, "he, is fine for the moment. My sister unfortunately has no care for others feelings most of the time so when she speaks ill, she doesn't think..."

Xavier only nodded, not exactly sure of what to say exactly, "what did she say to make him upset?" Swallowing I answered honestly, "she tasked him to follow Rowan, he lost the trail... She scolded him for it but if you asked me I'd tell you that Rowan wasn't the actual Rowan," my attention was pulled from the long haired boy at the incessant sound of taps, "are you sure? Would you like company?" I frowned at the movements, Thing turning to run off, "what'd he say?" I spoke softly, "he's going to find Enid, he likes how careful she is with her hands, he cannot cut his own cuticles I'm afraid," Xavier had something on his mind for a while now, only at this moment had he expressed it and asked the question he dwelled on, "where's his body?" Tilting my head I pondered, "if I'm correct it's still where he showed me last, deep and preserved in the mountains of Washington state." I looked over, meeting Xavier's gaze, "he prefers the company of moss, it's a soft flooring on his fingers pads when he visits... don't tell anyone though, it's a secret even from the family," he knitted his brows in question and I smiled, "he trusted me, on behalf of my late mother of course."

"Your birth mom?" I nodded and he looked saddened almost, a sort of pity forming, "I don't want to pry but it's like itching the back of my mind, are you close to your family? Cause it kind of seems like your sister just bosses you around and ignores you," my expression dropped slightly and he didn't even have to see it to know my mood darkened in a wrong way before going into, "it's just that, you seem to always follow after her like that first day in fencing when Bianca cut her, you basically defended Wednesday and she just walked off, what's up with that?" I swallowed, my throat closing, "it's normal... I mean it wasn't always like this but after her, visions started she began to keep to herself more often than not. Until we got here," I turned to face away from him, looking over the small library room, "she's chosen others more favorable than me while attending this school. I'm afraid this is the first time it's ever happened, she's becoming volatile. "

"If I am being honest, I am unaware of how to handle the situation." Sighing heavily, I stood, walking over to the far bookshelf with golden detailing in the woodwork. "Are you gonna tell your parents, or is there anything you can do?" I stayed silent before answering as I leveled my glare against the book of Fangs Or Tears, "no, this is our last chance, her, last chance before they keep us home. There's no other option for either of us... If she goes I'll follow." He seemed to be in disbelief standing from his own chair and walking over, coming to stand at my side. He had this look on his face, something I hadn't seen much of, something only Morticia Addams expressed in her moments of dreaded longing, "what does that mean? If she leaves, you're just going to go too?" I said nothing as I looked up at him, "I have no choice, if she's expelled they'll pull me out... It's happened before, there's nothing I can do Xavier," I spoke softly in case others were present unknown to our knowledge and also because the conversation made my darkened mood sour and uncomfortable.

"It's fine," I looked away, back to the books before trailing my eyesight across the current row I stood eye level with before going higher towards the next shelf. Spotting the peculiar blue book that held my interest I sighed, relaxing myself before rising up onto my toes to reach my arm up and grab it. My fingers hit the dusty spine, but I was still not able to grasp it and pull it down with my height. I dropped back onto the soles of my feet, glaring up at it with sheer annoyance while Xavier watched me. He looked up, connecting with my line of sight as I willed the book to come down mentally, smiling at my intense glare before he moved closer. His front pressed against my side as he reached up to grab the book from my sights, his free hand on my nape holding me still and centered on the ground. "Here," I nodded, not looking at him, "thank you," my voice was quiet as I whispered to him, taking the book from his hand, our fingertips touching before I pulled away and ran my hand over the spine of the book, "if you stayed, it'd be easier to help you grab books you know..."

"Was that about my height? I'm pretty average..." I frowned slightly but he didn't laugh or smile, he was just being sincere, "no... I mean, I'd like it if you stayed, here at Nevermore."