Page 31

I followed behind Enid as we left the bus, coming up behind Xavier and Wednesday, close enough to hear them speaking, "are you still stewing because I rejected your invitation?" I side eyed Enid as she frowned down at her envelope, "I did go out on a limb for you."

"Please. I'm just cannon fodder in whatever cold war you're waging with Bianca. I have more pressing issues." I swallowed, grabbing onto Enid's arm, even shivering at my action as I held back the sigh at her warmth enveloping my hand before I linked our arms causing and earning a smile brighter than the sky. I pulled her along with me, enjoying the heat and just ignoring everything else on the way to the town square, the eyes on my back not stopping me.

"Hey, so are you okay?" I looked to my side and grunted at her, "well you know usually people actually speak when someone asks them a question," I thought about it for a moment and then spoke up, softly of course, "I'm fine, Wednesday had me busy last night, I'm afraid I still don't feel my best... And you are warm, I enjoy your temperature."

"Oh, well thanks I guess, or, you're welcome?" I gave a hum at her slightly confused words, our attention being tucked away towards our principal as we took our seats on the benches, "all right. Everyone take a seat. We have a special announcement." I watched with disinterest as the mayor started speaking towards the crowd of students filling the stands, "welcome, welcome, Nevermore Academy. Now, on behalf of the entire Jericho community, we are so, so pleased to have you all here today. Your generosity and hard work are truly... out-reachous!" I sighed, "as awkward as could be," my eyes shot downward at the feeling of someone tapping on my leg, "yes?"

"I see," I looked away from thing, the message as clear as night before my eyes, "Enid, switch cards with me." She blanched looking at me, "why?" I motioned to Thing, "your love interest has the oddity shop, Thing wishes you well on your journey." A silence as she stared shocked before giggling and reaching to take my card as I grabbed her own in replacement. "Okay, everyone. We'll see you back here at one o'clock for lunch. Enjoy!" We stood with everyone else, dropping down from the stand, Enid grasping my free hand for help as she did so, "Enid. Switch volunteer assignments." Wednesday appeared like the mist in a cemetery immediately demanding cooperation, "what?"

"It's an emergency. I need to check out Pilgrim World." I sighed, sticking the slip out towards her, "we switched already, I have no interest in overly sugar filled fudge procured wrongfully, and I have no wish to use talent and pretend to be a disgusting creature such as a pilgrim." She paused, her head tilted in curiosity, I guess she didn't expect such an easy adventure today as her hand slowly moved to mine, "well then, I have Weathervane, it should keep you warm enough sister..." She walked away after handing her slip over, mine in her grasp leaving our eyes on her back, "it'll never be warm enough," Enid smiled sheepishly, "we could always start a fire?" I gave it a thought, "pin that on the list, I'm tired of heavy blankets being very constricting."

She smiled and hugged me before bounding off in a rush, "hey, Morella, can we talk?" My jaw tightened before I relented and turned towards my fellow classmate, "speak, it's cold and I'd like to go inside," he nodded in a rush kind of stumped at my tone, "yeah sorry I just, I'm sorry, really really sorry, I tried to come see you but..." I nodded, "no one was allowed to," he swallowed nervously, "I'm sorry, seriously I didn't know that would happen," I interrupted him, "next time you should be cautious with who you terrorize."

"You shouldn't do everything Bianca tells you to, maybe have her do the dirty work for a change and save yourself from such nasty bruising." My sight landed on the black eye that was still sported on his face, a yellowing hue making itself known as it slowly healed.

I turned to leave his side, but the look in his silvery blue eyes made me pause and with a deep breathe I relaxed, dropping the tension in my shoulders, "I forgive you if that's what is on your mind," He relaxed and although the forgiving conversation was admittedly awkward it was truthful, "no harm done?" He stuck his hand out and cringed slightly, "very much harm done actually, but it is fine, I heal well enough as is..." His hand was cold to the touch, but the weather had an effect on my own as well either way.