Page 77

"Thornhill said I could crash there for a few nights." I walked into the room slowly, leaving the door cracked for an easy escape with my books, "there's no need. I spoke with Weems. You and Xavier won't be punished." I was thoroughly confused at what was going on, "am I supposed to thank you?"

"I already apologized. It's over." I walked to my bed, grabbing my stack of work books, grabbing my favorite books and the one Weems had given me that I had previously stashed, "over? Tonight was the icing on the birthday cake you couldn't even be bothered to cut." I hadn't seen Enid talk like this before, "you'll use anyone to get what you want, even if it means putting them in danger, even if it means putting your only friend and your sister in danger!"

"We could have died tonight because of your stupid obsession." She had gestured towards me in exasperation, the bags in her hand shaking with the movement, catching my eyes curiously.

"But we didn't and now I'm one step closer to solving this case. That is what is important." My eyes turned to my sister, disappointment in her filling me at the sight of Enid and her frustrated tears, I've tried really, really, really hard to be your friend, always put myself out there, thought of your feelings. Told people, "I know she gives off serial killer vibes, but she's just shy."

"I never asked you to do that."

"You didn't have to because that's what friends do! They don't have to be asked, the fact that you don't know that says everything." Enid was at her wits end, "you want to be alone, Wednesday?"

"Be alone." Enid turned to me, teary eyed and my throat felt as if it fell into the pit of my being.

"Are you coming with me or staying with her?" I looked away from Enid and her question to my sister, with a simple glance I could see she wasn't even looking at me but before I could leave with Enid, the door opened wide. The squeal of the hinges reaching my ears first and I froze, the presence behind me almost immediately as her heels moved from the door.

"Miss Feathertail, I thought I made it very clear that until your temperature comes back up to its proper degree that you are not to leave the infirmary..." Enid and Wednesday had looked at the woman first, Enid's eyes suddenly holding concern and wide like saucers as she whimpered softly; as if she had forgotten everything that happened.

I stood straight, my books in hand, "I required some things and the nurse refused to help me..." I turned to the stern woman as she inhaled deeply, looking around the room and the girls before exhaling with a nod, "time to go then."