Fool Me Once {16}

¤~

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
Fool Me Once

"A beautiful girl with gorgeous eyes; a hidden world of hurt and lies

"A beautiful girl with gorgeous eyes; a hidden world of hurt and lies."

~ Unknown

¤~

Saturday, December 12, 2009

      Waking up, I find myself on a motel bed. Sitting up, I find Ben McKittrick asleep on a chair.

'What the fuck kind of amateur-hour hostage kidnapping is this?' I think, appalled.

Rolling my eyes, I grab a pillow and stand up, walking over to the idiot. Raising the pillow over my head, I bring it down hard on his face, waking him instantly as he gives a cry of surprise and falls from his chair.

"Are you stupid or something? You don't fall asleep while you're watching your unrestrained hostage, whether they're knocked-out or not!" I scold, pillow still in hand, as he gets to his feet and looks at me like I'm out of my mind. "They could escape, or find a weapon laying around and kill you. Damn amateur. If you're gonna kidnap me, at least have the decency to do it right."

Annoyed, he stalks threateningly up in to my space, but I just glare stubbornly back at him. Then, I watch as his pupils dilate.

"Shut up, and sit down." He says lowly.

Moving back a step, like I'm about to do as he 'compelled me', I watch as a smirk begins to form on his face just before I wipe it off by whipping the pillow in to the side of his head, making him groan.

Anna chooses that moment to come through the door, looking between us with incredulous eyes.

"Where the hell did you get this guy? The pharmacy section at Wal-Mart?" I ask the girl in disbelief as I gesture at an offended looking Ben. "First, he falls asleep on watch, then he tries to compell someone that hangs around vampires like they wouldn't have some form of protection from mind manipulation. . . You really need better lackies, he's making you look like a joke." I huff, sitting down on the edge of the bed as I toss the pillow aside. "Now, Anna, let's get to the point, shall we?" I ask calmly as I cross my legs, leaning back on my hands as I look at the shocked girl.

"How--" She starts as Ben heads in to the bathroom to give us a sense of privacy.

"Everyone new that's shown up in this town this year has turned out to be suspicious in someway." I roll my eyes. "Stack on you getting chummy with my little brother and pressuring him for the Gilbert journal that leads to the hidden location of Emily's grimoire, which holds the spell to open the tomb full of vampires under the old church they were supposed to have burned-up in. . . Really not that hard to put it all together." I shrug. "So, who's in there that you want?"