The Return {23} Pt.1

¤~

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
The Return - Part One

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEThe Return - Part One

"Trust me, I know how it feels. I know exactly how it feels to cry in the shower so no one hears you, and waiting for everyone to fall asleep so you can fall apart; for everything to hurt so bad that you just want it all to end. I know exactly how it feels."

~ Unknown

¤~

Thursday, February 25, 2010

      Cautiously making my way towards the kitchen, I round the counter only to have my heart drop as my eyes widen in horror.

"Holy shit!" I breathe out, grabbing a dish towel and quickly dropping down beside John.

The sight of all the blood makes me feel sick, my heart races as my breaths shorten, and I can feel my hands shaking.

"Okay, you're going in to shock." I murmur, grabbing his oozing hand and wrapping it up tight. "You've gotta keep your arm up -- like this -- to help reduce blood-flow." I tell him, trying to keep the trembling out of my voice as I move his arm, so his missing fingers face the ceiling.

Looking down at my bloody hands, I try to control my breathing as I reach in to my pocket and retrieve my phone, dialing 9-1-1 as fast as I can. Having to ignore the blood that's transferred onto the device as I hold it up to my ear.

'After all the nightmares I've had where I needed to call the police, but the number wasn't working -- or it turned out I needed a more complicated number, or the call had to get transferred to some people in that department that covered my issue -- I really hope this actually works and isn't anything like that.' I think anxiously.

"Nine-One-One, what's your emergency?" The operator questions within seconds, allowing me to release a relieved breath.

"I need an ambulance to Twenty-One-Oh-Four Maple Street." I say quickly, but clearly. "His fingers are missing and he's been stabbed. There's a lot of blood, and I think he may be going in to shock. We're in the kitchen. You just have to go straight, in to the back of the home, and to the right by the oven."

With all that said, I look to John's terrified face as he looks over my shoulder while I set the phone down on the floor.

"Behind you." He whispers urgently.

"I really don't give a shit who's behind me right now, John." I sigh as I grab his wrapped hand and keep a firm grasp on it to help reduce the bleeding. "My main priority right now is that you don't bleed-out and that you stay awake. They wanna stab me, too, they can go for it; I still won't stop helping you."