Masquerade {30}

¤~

CHAPTER THIRTY
Masquerade

"My past is an armor I cannot take off, no matter how many times you tell me the war is over

"My past is an armor I cannot take off, no matter how many times you tell me the war is over."

~ Jessica Katoff

¤~

Sunday, March 21, 2010

      "Easy." Jenna warns as she and Jeremy help Matt up the porch. "Grab the door, Jer."

It was decided that Matt would be staying with us while he recovered since he'd be by himself in his house, which wouldn't be good for him in his current state.

"Hey, stop fussing. I'm fine." Matt amends as they help him in to the house, myself closing the door behind them.

"The doctors said that you have to take it easy." I look at the boy pointedly, knowing he can be pretty stubborn.

"Yeah, you don't want to rip your stitches, hemorrhage and die, alright?" Jeremy agrees as they lead him in to the sitting-room to the right of the main living-room.

"Yeah, the only thing I'm gonna die from is embarrassment." He scoffs with an ironic smile.

"No." Jenna disagrees with the shake of her head.

"I walked in to a knife." He says with the humorous roll of his eyes. "How does somebody do that?"

"It was a freak accident." I assure him, lying through my teeth.

"It happens." Jeremy nods.

"Yeah, I mean I've done it, like, twenty times while making dinner in the kitchen." Jenna placates as they arrive in front of the couch, making Matt chuckle before he groans at the jolt of pain it causes him. "Okay, I'm being nice."

"Careful." Jeremy advises as they help Matt to rest on the couch.

"Easy, easy." Jenna says as he lays back.

Seeing that everything's okay, I go to the kitchen with the bag of food we brought home and place it on the table, Jeremy coming in and standing on the other side as he places his hands down on the table and leans forward.

"So, what are we gonna do?" He asks determinedly.

"Make lunch." I shrug, bringing the food out.