Pilot {02} Pt.2

¤~

CHAPTER TWO
Pilot - Part Two

"Destiny in those wild eyes

"Destiny in those wild eyes."

~ Unknown

¤~

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

      "The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls." Tanner says. "How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?"

Bonnie's head shoots up from what she was doing with wide eyes before she becomes sheepish.

"Um. . . a lot?" She questions, getting soft laughs around the room that has her straightening in her seat and committing herself to her role. "Like, a whole lot." She nods.

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett." Tanner chastises, making Bonnie become embarrassed. "Mr. Donovan? Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?" He questions next as he leans back against his desk.

"It's okay, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it." Matt smirks with the small shake of his head, getting another round of laughter around the room, which has Tanner sticking his tongue to his cheek in impatience.

"Hmm. Elena?" He looks to me next, making me look up from editing my notes. "Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significantly historical events?" He gestures sarcastically.

"There were three-hundred-forty-six casualties. Unless you're counting local civilians." I answer, remembering this part.

"That's correct." Tanner says, pushing himself off his desk as he goes to stand to the side of it. "Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle."

"Actually, there were twenty-seven." I correct, sitting up with a smirk and a 'gotcha, bitch,' look on my face as I look at the smug bastard. "Confederate soldiers fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. . . Surely you remember such a tragic detail from one of the town's most significantly historical events, Mr. Tanner? The Founder's archives are stored in Civil Hall, if you'd like to brush-up on your facts, sir." I say innocently despite my expression before I drop it as I shift it to a sharper one, my tone becoming reprimanding. "And, I've told you it's Miss. Gilbert to you."

"Hmm." Tanner hums, looking somewhat embarrassed himself as impressed clapping and laughter fills the room, which has me blushing a little in shyness.