Kill or Be Killed {28}

¤~

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
Kill or Be Killed

"If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk as if you own it

"If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk as if you own it."

~ Unknown

¤~

Sunday, March 7, 2010

      Today was the Mystic Falls Historical Society Volunteer Day. Unlike the original events that took place, today was actually relatively average -- if it wasn't for the fact three vampires, a werewolf, a witch, a dopplegänger, and a council of gender-mixed Van Helsings were all painting fences and crap together. . .

Despite the lack of drama for the day, it has still felt like a very long day and has left me drained in every sense, but Stefan had called and requested that I meet him at the Boarding House. He sounded pretty serious and concerned over the phone, so I decided to indulge him instead of giving in to my strong desire for a very long nap to see what the new issue could possibly be.

So, here I am, knocking on the Salvatore home's front door until Stefan answers with a grim expression.

"Who died?" I question genuinely despite my flat and tired tone.

"What?" He screws his face up in confusion. "No one." He shakes his head as he steps aside to allow me to enter.

"Then, what happened? Who was kidnapped? Whose life is being threatened this time? Who got their ass kicked? I'm running out of other possible scenarios, but I'm positive there's at least twenty other options I'm missing."

"No, just--" He sighs, exasperated, before taking my hand in his own and leading me to the basement.

I frown as I narrow my eyes at our clasped hands in distaste; warmth and near-violation being an odd mix, but only one of which I trust to be my true feelings. So, tugging my hand from his hold, I play it off as adjusting my flannel as I move the sides of it to wrap around my torso tighter before crossing my arms. I don't let anything give me away when the broody-vampire glances back at me for a moment, just letting it seem as if I'd just gotten a chill.

Continuing down the stairs, we make our way through the narrow passages until we come to the small storage area containing a cooler of blood-bags. Standing in the doorway, I watch Stefan take slow steps to the cooler until he's right in front of it and carefully presses his hands down on the lid, a torn and unsure expression on his features.

"So, how is a storage room of concern to us today?" I question slowly as I teeter back and forth on my feet, seeing as he was being quiet for a time.