History Repeating {11}

¤~

CHAPTER ELEVEN
History Repeating

"I've been pulling myself out of dark places alone since I was a child

"I've been pulling myself out of dark places alone since I was a child. I'm built for anything."

~ Unknown

¤~

Monday, November 30, 2009

      Things have been relatively normal since Stefan's birthday. Lexi stayed for the rest of the week before returning to her boyfriend. And, since Damon explained that he turned some low-life to use him as a decoy for all his shit to keep the town from suspecting them, things between the brothers have remained the same since they first reunited. Stefan has also been keeping up his attendance at school just like the rest of us.

Now, we're sitting in History class, finally getting a new teacher to replace Tanner, instead of the substitutes that have been barely half-assing our lessons.

"Good morning, everyone." Alaric greets with a healthy amount of enthusiasm for the morning -- meaning not too much, but enough. "Alrighty. . ."

As Alaric writes his name down on the chalk board, I look over to Bonnie and I'm relieved to see nothing seems to be bothering her, meaning Emily hasn't been messing with her head.

"Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue." He smiles. "'Saltzman' is of German origins. My family emigrated here in seventeen-fifty-five to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now, the name 'Alaric' belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough." He jokes, getting light chuckling. "You'll probably want to pronounce it 'Al-la-ric', but it's 'A-lar-ric', okay? So, you can call me Ric. I'm your new History teacher."

¤~

      "So, I learned something about this necklace that came with my costume." Bonnie tells me and Caroline as we walk outside.

"Oh?" I prompt curiously.

"It belonged to one of my ancestors. Her name was Emily." She explains. "She was a powerful witch back in the Civil War days, and this medallion was hers. A witch's talisman."

"That's cool." I smile for Bonnie, seeing her light up about learning her heritage.

¤~

      It's later in the day, after school. Jeremy, Jenna and I are sitting in a booth at The Grill, and Jenna has spotted Alaric.