Part Four: What's Really Happening?

(Whytnie's POV)

And then the T.V. cut into some breaking news about some robbery thing. My dad was still on the line screaming my ear off.

            “Yeah, Dad?” I finally replied. “No, Dad. Well, you heard it yourself.” I hit my forehead with my palm, which hurt more than it should. “I’m fine. No, Dad, just a black eye. A broken arm!?! No! It’ll heal, Dad.” I rolled my eyes. Carlos announced that dinner was ready and I told my dad to stop worrying and that I’d call him later.

            “So today was exciting,” Caleb said, as we all sat down. Clarissa picked at her food, while Carlos dug right in. Caleb was playing with his food while he avoided looking at me. “Did you think that something like this would happen?”

            “And to you?” And the way Clarissa said that made me think that she hated me, even though it wasn’t my fault.

            “Right?” I rolled my eyes taking another bite. “Hey, Carlos, this is really good.” He made a weird noise so he didn’t have to stop eating. He was already on his seconds when Caleb finished his plate.

            “Yo, bro, better watch yourself. Tryouts are tomorrow.” They were both soccer players, or well, “football” players. Clarissa said she played tennis in high school but wasn’t very good at it. And I never did a sport. Now Clarissa was more interested in “exploring”, and so was I. Clarissa’s idea of exploring is looking for stores to shop in, instead of sightseeing like I’d preferred. So after orientation tomorrow, the boys were going to the tryouts and Clarissa and I were going “exploring”. The boys promised to meet up later after they came home and showered after tryouts. We told each other that we’d at least become friends because we’d be living with each other for a year. So I was trying to resist the urge of stabbing Clarissa with my fork.

         And my first day isn’t even over yet. I haven’t even been to my room that I’m sharing with Clarissa, and I’m not really looking forward to how she organized it. I can just see all the pink and glitter in my mind. Great.