Part Fourteen: Just A Charity Case

(Whytnie's POV)

“So is that what you’re wearing?” Clarissa asked, as she came out of the bathroom. She was still wearing her sweats and long t-shirt that she’d slept in earlier. She’d come home around five-ish, saying that she’d met a guy the day before when she was walking home after shopping with Niall. Except it sounded like she was leaving a part out of that story. I know we aren’t close or anything, but I wanted her to think that if she needed someone to talk to that I’d be here for her.

            “Hey, you okay?” How original. Doesn’t everyone say that when someone looks down? I mentally slapped myself in the face.

            “I’m fine.” Even the tone of her voice makes it obvious that she isn’t. So instead of arguing with words, I just look at her the way my grandmother used to when she knew I was lying or guilty. Well, it worked. She buckled under the pressure. “Fine! If you must know! Yesterday, while I was out with Niall, he rejected me, okay?”

            “Is that why you didn’t argue when I told you that I was taking Caleb instead of you?” She nodded. “Oh, I’m sorry, Clarissa.”

            “Oh, don’t be! You at least didn’t get rejected by one of your favorite members of the stupid band you were obsessed with!” She turned her back on me and laid down on her bed. I could hear her sobbing. Well, I couldn’t just leave it like that.

            “I know that you don’t really know me, Clarissa, but I am a good listener.” She sniffled.

            “You don’t want to be late for your concert.” I sat on the end of her bed.

            “I don’t mind.” I have younger siblings, so I know how to act when one of them is down.

            “Well, you want to know what he told me?” She turned back around to look at me. “He told me that he didn’t like girls who were all about their looks and whatever. He basically told me that I was a heartless bitch who only cared about her reflection in the mirror.” She started crying and turned away from me. “And that’s not even who I am.”

            “Then who are you?”

            “Yo, Whytnie!? I thought you said you were ready?” Caleb was shouting from the living room. I rolled my eyes. Leave it to boys to ruin the moment.

            “Go. We can talk later.”

            “You sure you’ll be alright?” I asked. She nodded but didn’t say anything else. So I took that as my signal and left. I felt really bad about leaving her like that, except I’d already made a promise and she didn’t seem to be in the mood for talking. Or well, she didn’t seem to be able to “talk” considering how loud she was sobbing. Caleb even looked at her oddly. “We’ll talk later,” I told Caleb as we left the house for the concert. Caleb was already angry that we were going to be late. I rolled my eyes as we got into our “ride” that was provided with the tickets, considering we couldn’t “technically” drive in the U.K. Apparently we “wouldn’t handle driving on the wrong side of the road”. Whatever. I kind of like being chauffeured.

            “So you excited?” Caleb asked as soon as we were off. He seemed nervous for some reason, and I don’t really know why. “Get to see your boyfriend.” He laughed at my expression. “Come on, Whytnie. You can’t possibly tell me that you haven’t even thought of him in that way.”

            “Well, I haven’t,” I lied and looked out the window in case he could read it in my eyes.

            “I know you’re lying.” I looked at him, eyes wide. How could he possibly tell? I mean, I avoid contact after lying. Seriously? What gave me away?

            “Yeah, okay, whatever.” I rolled my eyes and went back to looking outside.

            “What’s wrong?” Caleb sounded sincere.

            “The worst thing about it is that I’m just a charity case,” I replied. My eyes started to sting and I quickly changed the subject to avoid the water works. There was no way I was going to cry in front of Caleb or to “ruin” my makeup before seeing the boys. It was bad enough trying to hide the black eye! Jeesh, it still stung badly. When was the damn thing going to heal and go away?