Part Nine: Naive

(Whytnie's POV)

“I don’t know they’re acting really weird right now.” I was on the phone with Caleb, telling him and Carlos about where we were meeting up at. Clarissa was still inside with the boys, she was secretly posting pics of them to her instragram. “As soon as I told them you were coming along.” I listened to Caleb tell me that Harry was just jealous because he thought there was something going on between us. “Really? But why would he be jealous?” Caleb laughed. “No! Why would you even suggest that he likes me?”

            “Oh, Whytnie, you’re so naïve.” Carlos said something to Caleb but I couldn’t hear him. “Yeah, Carlos, five minutes.” I could hear him lock the front door. “We’re on our way right now. Don’t worry about how Harry’s acting. At dinner, we’ll make it very clear about our secret love affair.” Caleb and I both burst out laughing. “See you in a little bit.”

            “Bye.” We hung up and I went back inside. Clarissa was onstage laughing with the blond one about how Harry fell during the concert she’d been to. Apparently Harry falls a lot. Well, as soon as I walked in he looked embarrassed and started whispering to Louis. I walked up to the stage and announced that Caleb and Carlos were on their way. Paul was telling Liam about how he was supposed to watch the boys and make sure that they didn’t go out and do something stupid that they’ll regret. Apparently today was Paul and his wife’s anniversary. The boys all wished him well, and then we were off.

            “So what’s it like in Mullingar?” Clarissa asked him.

            “What’s it like in your hometown?”

            “Southampton?”

            “In New York?” The blond one looked intrigued. “That’s cool. What’s it like there?” And then they were both in deep conversation. Louis and Harry finished whispering and decided it was time to talk to me instead.

            “So tell us about yourself Whytnie,” Louis started. He at least had a smile, Harry looked like he’d rather be anywhere else but here.

            “What would you like to know?” And then the questions started pouring in. They avoided the main topics that they were dreading the answers to. For example: do you have a boyfriend? Or are you interested in Harry Styles? They also avoided what people were saying about me online, and I know basically everyone and their grandmas knew about me. Or well, the version of me that everyone thought I was. Instead they asked simple questions about school and how I liked it here, even though it was barely my second day here. They even promised to show me around to their favorite spots, since Clarissa didn’t even want to look around. All she really cared about was shopping, and well the blond boy in front of her. He even seemed interested in what she had to say. Huh. Who knew Clarissa could be so charming?

            “So what time were they meeting us?” Louis finally asked. We had finished talking about my “horrible choir experience” back when I was in high school. They had laughed and told me that it wasn’t that bad. Well, I would disagree. While I was in choir, I had this Solo and Ensemble thing to do and while I sang my song I couldn’t take in enough air so it hadn’t sounded as well as it should’ve. So the judge just ended up helping me with breathing exercises. I was graded above average, even though I would highly disagree.

            Back to the present.

            “Caleb said that he’d call once he finished picking up some stuff for the house. Carlos said that they needed to get some stuff for their room.” I shrugged. “But he should be calling any minute now. If he doesn’t, we’re going to eat without him.” Louis and Harry laughed and as if on cue Caleb called.

            “Yo?” I answered, Caleb and I both laughed. Caleb was always saying “yo” and I don’t even know why.

            “Hey, we’re going right now. Text me the address.” He hung up and Louis gave me the address to text him. Then we went to Nandos. Louis ended up inviting his girlfriend, but Liam’s girlfriend had dance practice so she couldn’t make it. And Zayn’s girlfriend was in some other band and they were in deep rehearsals. Apparently they’re preparing to visit America. Niall and Harry didn’t have girlfriends, or well Harry was bringing his girlfriend to dinner with him, along with her “other boyfriend”. Caleb promised that he’d smooth things over with Harry and I was hoping it all worked out. I was tired of people telling my dad how “slutty” I am because I’m with two guys and I can’t make up my mind about which one of them I wanted. To be honest, Caleb is extremely hot and he’s the type of guy to walk around the house without his shirt. He did so last night, and Clarissa kept commenting on his “nice abs”. Yeah, I noticed. And with Harry, well, I didn’t really know all that much about him. He was funny, despite what Clarissa had mentioned about him. Last night she was giving me the “short version” of their bio’s. She didn’t think it was all that funny that I knew nothing about them. Harry was also very sweet and charming, that much was pretty true about him. I also realized that he liked older women. Well, I was eight months older than him. Does that count?

            “Hey, you ready? You were staring off into space?”