Part Fifty-Two: Everyone Always Thinks He's So Funny

(Whytnie's POV)

“Dad!” I screamed for the billionth time. “Harry is going to be landing in like ten minutes and you’re not even ready yet!”

            “But I’m in the middle of something,” my dad said, not taking his eyes off the T.V. screen. “I didn’t just take the whole day off to meet some boy my daughter decides she likes.” He started yelling into his headphones.

            “Dad!” I rolled my eyes. “Not funny.”

            “I wasn’t trying to be.”

            “Dad, you promised!”

            “After this round.”

            “Who’s going to pick him up at the airport then?”

            “Um, you?”

            “You said you were going to come with!” He started yelling again.

            “Go without me.” Another pause so he could yell at my uncle and cousin who were playing with him. “I’ll be ready by the time you get back.”

            “Why couldn’t you just agree to that thirty minutes ago?” Then I lost him. He was playing video games and didn’t want to be interrupted anymore. I sighed as I got into my car and drove to the airport.

            So I was late. Just a little. Okay, a lot. I was sorry. I told him over and over how sorry I was, but he just laughed. Then I told him the real reason why I was so late.

            “Your father seems really funny.”

            “Why do people keep saying that?” He gave me a weird look. “Whenever I talk about my dad, everyone always thinks he’s so funny.” I shook my head. “I just don’t get it.”

            “Of course you wouldn’t, love.” He smiled. “It’s going to feel weird, having you, like, drive me around.”

            “Well, you drive on the wrong side of the road.” We both laughed, as he put his luggage into my trunk. He complained about my “Hello Kitty mobile” and the fact that it’s white. “But it has a big Decepticons symbol on the back and it says Star Wars on it!”

            “Still too much Hello Kitty.” He laughed. “You really are mad.”

            “Rude,” I muttered as I drove home. As promised, my father was ready. My little brother was even wearing a tie. He was so adorable. Of course, my little brother always wore a tie except he liked to call it his “president’s tie”. Still adorable.

            “Hello, sir,” Harry said to my father as he shook his hand. My father just smiled, even though I knew he wasn’t really happy about it. He wasn’t so happy that his “little girl” was growing up and had a boyfriend now.

            “Call me Mr. Fields,” my father told him. I gave him a look. “Fine, you can call me… Mr. Fields.” He smiled at me. I ignored him.

            “And this is my brother,” I told Harry, pointing to my brother.

            “Why, hello!” Harry said. My brother even hugged Harry. He’d talked to Harry already a couple of times while we Skyped. My little brother liked to walk into my room unannounced and just hang out. Sometimes he thinks it’s his room.

            “Now that he’s here,” my dad gave me a weird look, “I thought you said that you were cooking dinner.”