Part Thirty-Four: I Just Felt Unwelcome. So I Left.

(Whytnie's POV)

Things were going really well with Harry. When I was at school, and he had some time off, he’d walk me to class or bring me lunch. He was really sweet like that. If I wasn’t in school, and he had time off, we were either at his house watching movies or bar-b-q-ing with the boys. Clarissa tagged along with her date in some occasions, but Clarissa never stayed with one person for a long period of time. And neither did Caleb, from what I’d heard. We didn’t really talk, but it was slowly starting to look better. He was home more often, but he would just leave the room if I was there. So I felt the guilt and tried to stay away as long as possible. Clarissa kept telling me that it was his own fault and that I shouldn’t suffer.

            But how could I not?

            We used to be really close and open, and now he won’t even stay in the same room as me. What do I have to do? Jeesh! So what, I don’t feel the same way as him. He needs to get over it. Oh, gosh, now I’m sounding extremely harsh. Ugggghhh!

            Why did he have to do that?

            I wonder if he regrets it.

            Why wouldn’t he?

            Man, why do I feel so guilty?

            “Hey?” The sound of Harry’s voice brought me back to the present. “You were kind of out of it for a minute.” He laughed and sat down beside me. We were at his place, relaxing on the couch. Love Actually was playing, but I wasn’t really paying any attention. I just kept thinking about Caleb. And this morning.

            It all started when I woke up. He was walking his recent “girlfriend” outside. She’d slept over. I didn’t even know where Carlos was. Clarissa had gotten home earlier that morning so she was still asleep. All that left was Caleb and I. Instead of keeping quiet and ignoring me, he was all about staring at me until I felt uncomfortable enough to leave. And I was tired of it.

            “What is your problem?” I asked him. He just shook his head and laughed.

            “I don’t even know why I liked you to begin with.” Then he took the stairs two at a time and slammed his door closed. Clarissa yelled at him before going back to sleep. I just felt unwelcome. So I left.

            “You okay?” It was Harry again.

            “Yeah.” I smiled at him. He knew something was up. “Just thinking is all.”

            “About what?” He handed me a cup of tea. “It’s okay, I can keep a secret.”

            “I’m sure you can, Harry.” I joked. I changed the subject to lighter topics and he let me, even though I noticed that he didn’t really want to. We talked throughout the movie, about everything and nothing important. Afterwards, he started to make dinner. And that’s when it all went bad.

            I was standing in the doorway of the kitchen, while he showed off his cooking skills. That was when I got the phone call. It shocked me at first because of the ringtone. I hadn’t heard it in a while.

            It was Caleb.

            He started off with, “Hey, it’s Clarissa.”