Part Eighteen: "Your Breakup is All Anyone is Talking About!"

(Whytnie's POV)

“Caleb!” I pounded on his bedroom door harder. “Caleb!” It was Sunday afternoon, we didn’t get home until earlier this morning from Harry and Louis’ flat. Caleb could really sleep like a dead man, I swear. He even promised me that he’d help me make lunch today, since it was his idea of having a big meal. So I pounded even harder. Clarissa popped her head out of our bedroom door and gave me a weird look.

            “Caleb went to the grocery store already.” She rolled her eyes. “Could you stop already?” She was still wearing the same sweats and sweatshirt I saw her in before I left for the concert. She’s the kind that would get all dolled up already. So something is still off.

            “Okay.” I looked around. “Where’s Carlos?” She shrugged. “Did you still want to talk?” She slammed the door in my face. “I’ll take that as a no.” I went down into our kitchen to start preparing for when Caleb got back. While I was getting out the pots, my mind kept flashing back to yesterday. I really don’t know exactly what happened. Or how it happened. The night was going great, well, after the concert at least. Harry was all distant, but then he wasn’t. Except when he got a call from Paul later on that evening. I hadn’t checked the rumor patrol, but I’m pretty sure it was all about how Caleb and I were at his house. Then things got awkward. Caleb and I took that as our cue to leave. But while Caleb was trying to get us a ride back, Harry came up to me. I thought he was going to apologize for what happened. He didn’t.

            “So, um, I’ll see you, um, around?” Harry said avoiding eye contact. He seemed distracted and I wondered if I did something wrong. Well, I must have done something really wrong. He couldn’t even look me in the eye. The other boys had hugged me before we left. He didn’t look like he was even thinking about it.

            “Yeah, sure, I guess.” He walked back into his flat without saying another word. Caleb finally got us a ride and we fled the scene. On the ride back Caleb was trying to cheer me up and tell me that I was blowing things way out of proportion.

            “… Maybe it was just a call that they had to work early tomorrow,” Caleb was saying. I shook my head. “Don’t assume too much.”

           Now here I was. I turned on my iPod, that I had plugged into the stereo in the kitchen to shuffle and I finished up the leftover dishes that were in the sink to help take my mind off of other things that I didn’t want to think about.

            “Hey, Whytnie!” Caleb called out, interrupting my dance. He walked in on me and started laughing. “I didn’t know you were such a good dancer.” I rolled my eyes and lightly punched him on the shoulder. “Don’t stop on account of me.” He smirked.

            “You could have told me you left. I would’ve gone with you,” I said changing the subject.

            “It was my responsibility.” He shrugged.  “Besides, I didn’t want to interrupt your dance practice.” He even winked.

            “Did you say you wanted to cook lunch all by yourself?” I ask sarcastically. He started laughing. See, things were this easy with Harry yesterday while we were cooking. Just smiling and laughing. No seriousness. It was just easy I guess I just don’t understand what went wrong.

            Oh, well. I didn’t want to think about it any longer. So instead I took out my frustration on Caleb and made him help me cook lunch. Halfway through, Clarissa comes running down the stairs screaming at me. “Your breakup is all anyone is talking about!”

            “My breakup?” I asked confused.

            “With Harry?” She rolled her eyes. “He even tweeted that the feeling was mutual and that he didn’t want anyone to harass you anymore. Apparently, he’s already moved on to some famous actress in London.”

            “Oh.” Caleb and Clarissa were watching me. I just shook my head. “Glad that mess is over with.” I faked a smile. “So who else is hungry?”