Part Thirty-Two: I So Have To Fix This

(Whytnie's POV)

“Caleb’s here,” Clarissa said. We were back at our house, after having a huge test earlier. I’m so glad the week is almost over. Well, kind of. Harry is pretty busy with rehearsals for this weekend’s performance at the Olympics. That and he took me to watch the diving and volleyball games. Those were exciting. Not really. I did get to meet Tom Daley though, now that made for an excellent day. Even if I was rooting for the American diver, I’d forgotten his name. But yeah, both Harry and I liked to spend less time here because we were both kind of avoiding Caleb since the “incident” that Carlos still knew nothing about. Well, not that he cared. He had focused all of his attention on some new girl.

            “And?” I asked Clarissa, remembering what she’d said earlier. What did she expect me to do? Up and leave? I’m not that cruel. So instead of taking her stares any longer, I walked out and bumped right into Caleb. He looked startled, but then again he looked as if he hadn’t slept in a while. Man, my insides were telling me how guilty I really felt. “Hey.”

            “Hi.” Neither of us moved.

            “So, um, how are you?” So it was up to me to get the ball moving. Great.

            “Fine.” He pushed past me and slammed his bedroom door behind him. Well, that went well, don’t you think? I can tell we’re making excellent progress.

            So why couldn’t I look away from the door?

            “That went well,” Clarissa said from behind me. I rolled my eyes. “Sorry to eavesdrop, but you promised that we’d get at least a little shopping done today.” Clarissa was excited for this weekend, because Harry had given me two tickets to watch their performance. I was taking her this time. Hopefully, she wouldn’t find it the right time to tell me she has “secret feelings” for me. I just wouldn’t be able to handle it. Well, the fact that I’d lose another friend and well, I’m not lesbian. And I think Clarissa is too boy crazy to even consider kissing a girl.

            I laughed at the thought.

            Clarissa glared at me.

            “I have to find the perfect outfit, Whyt.” Clarissa tried to make the “innocent puppy” look, and she knew I was a sucker for it. I sighed.

            “Well, we better get looking.”

            “Yay!” Yay was right. I could even hear Caleb laughing in his room. Great. Things were really going great. Second week almost officially over and I’ve already lost my best friend. On the bright side, it’s time to “shop until we drop”. Yay, indeed. “… So did you tell him that you were going shopping with me?” Huh? Clarissa must’ve been talking to me still. I gave her a confused look, and she rolled her eyes. “Harry? Did you tell him you were going shopping with me?”

            “Oh, um, not yet. Why?” She just shrugged. Caleb came out of his room, brushed past us without so much as a second glance, and I could hear the front door slamming behind him. Huh. I wonder where he goes all damn day. It’s not like I can’t be civil to him while we’re here. Jeesh, you’d think he didn’t know me at all.

            I so have to fix this.

            It can’t really go on like this.

            Clarissa was probably thinking the same thing by the way she was looking at me.

            Great. Why is everything my fault? I’m not the one that made things awkward between us. He walked away. I was willing to talk this through and all. I mean, yeah it changed everything between us, but we still have to make something work. Right? Or am I wrong? Is it too much of me to ask of him? Since now, apparently, he doesn’t want anything to do with me. Great.

            “Hey? Your phone is ringing.” I looked down at my phone in my left hand. How had I not noticed it was ringing before?

            I quickly answered. “Hello?”

            “Hey, love.” It was Harry. “Are you doing anything later?”