Part Twenty-One: Dance Party Time

(Liam's POV)

“I thought you said we were going for ice cream?” Danielle asked. We were supposed to meet up and go for ice cream, except that was before Louis called. He found out where Whytnie was going to be. Apparently, she liked to study in the library not far from her small house.

            “We are, but first I have to do something.” Danielle looked around the library and saw Whytnie reading her book.

            “Liam? We’re not getting in the middle of this are we?” I’d deal with her later.

            “Stay here, love?” I didn’t wait for a response. Whytnie looked up as I sat across from her. I smiled and she returned it. “How are you?”

            “I’m good.” And she seemed like it. “How are you?”

            “Just lovely.” I looked around as Danielle sat down next to her.

            “I hope you’re smart enough not to get manipulated,” Danielle whispered to Whytnie. I glared at her. “She has the right to know, Liam.”

            “Danielle!” I looked back to Whytnie. Danielle was obviously on her side. “So, Whytnie, how is school?” Let’s start off slow.

            She looked at me funny before replying. “It’s okay, why?”

            “Oh, no reason.” I shrugged.

            “What classes are you taking?” Danielle asked. Whytnie listed off her classes and they talked about them. But that wasn’t what I was here for. Harry was counting on me to do this task. Well, not that he knew anything about it, but still. I needed to do this.

            “So how’s Caleb?” Whytnie looked up at me, and I could feel Danielle’s glare. I ignored it. She’d yell at me later. “You guys still close?”

            “Um, yeah?” She shrugged. “We live together; we kind of have to be.”

            “Oh, yeah? And how’s that going?” Danielle kicked me under the table, but I didn’t flinch even though it hurt. “You two getting on real well?”

            “Um, sure.” Whytnie looked around. “What is this about, Liam?”

            I shrugged. “Nothing. I was just checking on you, making sure your still doing okay.”

            “That’s sweet of you, but I have a lot of homework to do.”

            “But it’s barely your second day?” Danielle gave Whytnie a hug and apologized. She made it very clear that I was the “overprotective” type, and that even though we weren’t close I still liked to check up on people. I smiled. I mean, what else could I have done? Next time, I’ll have to do this mission solo.

            “We’ll see you around?” Danielle said in farewell. Whytnie smiled.

            “Maybe you can teach me some dance moves sometime?” Whytnie joked.

            “What about a dance party?” Whytnie laughed. “I’ll find out what Eleanor is doing this weekend. I’ll call you.” And then Danielle was pulling me out of the library. “What was that, Liam?”

            “It was Louis’ idea.” Danielle wasn’t going to accept that excuse. “He just wants Harry to be happy, and we all do.”

            “I want him to be happy too, but isn’t it Whytnie’s choice?”

            “Yeah, but she didn’t even let Harry explain why he’s been so distant.”

            “Whytnie knows what’s best for her, and if it’s Harry then she’ll put in the effort to find out herself.”

            I thought about that for a while, but just shook my head. A different idea hit me. “So we’re having a dance party this weekend?”