Information

Ryden

I grabbed my cell phone and made a call. After a couple of rings, they picked up.

Hello?

"Hey, Val."

Ryden.

"I got a question."

What?

"Would you ever hurt us on purpose?"

"Not unless you touched my brothers. Why?"

"I was wondering."

Ryden, what's going on? You don't call me out of the blue for no reason.

I blew air past my lips. "Okay. How was Leokadia when she came to stay with you?"

Why do you want to know?

"I'm just curious."

Bullshit. Now tell me the truth.

Shit. "Fine. We have a girl staying with us that had different foster families. Kyler became her legal guardian."

Okay.

"The girl is sarcastic and won't let anyone get close to her. How do I get her to open up to me?"

You don't.

"What do you mean?"

Ryden, you can't force someone to open up to you when they don't trust you. You need to let them come to you on their terms.

Great.

If this girl stayed in a foster family and won't talk to you about it, she wouldn't have the best experience. If you push her, she won't talk. It took Kadia time to talk about her foster homes. Even now, she doesn't say much about them.

"Okay. I figure I would get some insight."

I need to go. Val ended the call.

I tossed my phone on the bed and ran my hand through my hair.

******
Daria

I strolled to the kitchen to find Odin standing at the stove while a pan sizzled, crackled, and popped. Ah, the pleasant sounds of bacon cooking. I stood beside him while he cooked, letting the aroma of artery-clogging food hit my nostrils.

"Did you need something?" Odin flipped strips of bacon over.

"Just enjoying the smell of artery-clogging food, knowing I won't get to eat it when I'm old and grey."

Odin glanced at me and arched his brows.

"The doctor will throw me on some low fat, low cholesterol diet that tastes like cardboard."

"You're only sixteen. You have plenty of time to plan your diet when you're eighty."

"Hate to break to you, buddy. But doctors change your diet when you hit your forties."

"I'm twenty-four."

"And one step closer to forty."

Odin gave me an annoyed look. It's not my fault he can't handle the truth.

"So, why are you not hovering over me like everyone else?"

"You don't need people to hover. I've watched you in action, five-finger Lucy."

"I pay people back." I shrugged.

"Lifting items without paying for them is stealing."

"I considered it was borrowing intending to pay later. It's the same way with credit cards. People use credit as money, intending to pay it back later. Then they forget and tank their credit."