Dinner with the folks

Daría

Ryden brought me to his dads' house for dinner. I only agreed because I like his dads, and Gabe was cooking. We arrived at the aroma of food, making my mouth water. I sniffed the air and realized Gabe was making Chicken Alfredo with fettuccine noodles and garlic knots.

"Why do you look like you're stalking your prey?" Ryden asked me.

"Gabe is making Chicken Alfredo." I walked away into the kitchen.

Gabe noticed me bouncing in my spot and chuckled. "I'm guessing you smelled what I'm cooking."

"The aroma hit my nose like a freight train."

"Well, dinner will be ready in a few minutes."

I smiled in anticipation. Ryden walked into the kitchen and helped Gabe with dinner.

Nate walked into the kitchen from the hallway and looked at Ryden. "Where's your brother?"

"Roman is at the garage with Sam, trying to get her heap of junk running," Ryden said.

A few minutes later, the front door opened and closed. I peeked into the living room to see a guy and a woman walking toward the kitchen. They stopped when they noticed me.

"Hi, Daría," the woman said.

"Uh, hey." I took a step back.

"You met us at Rafe's birthday party. I'm Tori, and this goober behind me is my husband, Elias." Tori thumbed at the guy standing next to her.

"Oh, right. Ryden mentioned you. It's hard to keep track of his billion family members."

Elias snickered. "No shit." He looked at Nate. "Where's
Roman?"

"My idiot son is at the garage with his girlfriend, trying to fix her scrape heap," Nate said.

"How did he fare with Dad?"

"Roman took off like a big bird while Dad laughed."

Elias chuckled. "Sounds about right."

"Why don't we sit in the living room while we wait for dinner to get done?" Tori asked me.

"Okay." I shrugged.

Tori held out her arm and guided me into the living room. We walked over to the couch and sat down.

"So, you're Ryden's infamous aunt Tori," I said.

"I'm not sure about infamous, but I'm the boys' Aunt. Gabe is my big brother."

"I like Gabe. He's not like most bosses and treats his employees with respect."

"Yeah, but Gabe is still a goober."

I snickered.

"It happens when you share a bathroom while growing up. You see all your brother's gross things." Tori screwed up her face.

"You're lucky. I didn't have any siblings while growing up. I was too busy running away from foster homes."

"I heard. You don't need to elaborate."

I nodded in appreciation.

"I heard that you met your dad and cousins. Leokadia has raved about you since she saw you again."

"I met Leokadia briefly in one of my foster homes. I didn't know she or Casper were my cousins."

"We learned about Casper and Leokadia being related when they were seniors in high school. I also work for your grandfather."