Grease monkey

Roman

Since it was Sunday and the shop was closed, I had Sam meet me here. I figured we could work on Betsy and clear the air.

I remember when Sam bought Betsy. She had stashed money away for the car. Then she showed me this hunk of junk, ready for the scrapyard. But Sam fell in love with it and convinced me to help her restore Betsy to her former glory. We spent countless hours at the shop working on it.

Someone knocked on the shop door, breaking me from my reverie.

I walked over, unlocked it, and let Sam in. "Ready?"

"Yep."

I locked the door, walked toward a standing toolbox, and pushed it toward the engine.

"So, what did your dad say about you helping me?"

"My dad doesn't say much about the cars brought into the shop. I cleared it with Grandpa Matt."

"How is your grandfather doing? It's been a while since I've seen him."

"Grandpa is okay when Markus isn't pissing him off." I shrugged.

Sam giggled. It was better than the scowl she wore when she saw me.

I grabbed a socket and handed it to Sam. She took it and started working on the engine.

"So, how's life been treating you?" I asked, trying to make small talk.

"Life of a guidance counselor has its moments. I miss Mr. Gray, but Mr. Weston is okay."

"Yeah, having your uncle/cousin as a principal sucked."

Sam snickered. "I forgot you were related to Mr. Gray."

"I didn't forget when he called my dads when I got into trouble. Nate would beat our asses. If he didn't, Val would."

Sam laughed even more.

"It's not funny! Ryden and his big ass mouth couldn't stop calling Val by Valentine."

"Why did your brother antagonize Val? It's not like he bothered anyone, aside from the Percy sisters." Sam's face contorted in disgust. "I hated them, especially Sloane."

"No one in our family likes the Percy sisters. How my cousins got wrapped up with them is beyond me."

"Glutton for punishment?"

"Something like that." I set my socket down and grabbed some parts and belts. I returned, set the items down, and pulled the bad parts off.

"So, how's life been treating you?"

"Well, I live with Odin and work in my grandpa's shop."

"I didn't realize you moved in with Odin."

"Yeah. Ryden and I wanted to move out but couldn't afford a place yet. Odin bought a house and remodeled it. He offered us a place to live with cheap rent. Then he built another bathroom because he didn't want us to drag grease through the house."

"So, you live with your brother?"

"And Kyler and Jordin. Jordin is staying with his girlfriend, Mercedes, since we have a houseguest."

"Oh."

I glanced at Sam. "What?"

"Mercedes is my best friend from college."

"No shit."

"She mentioned Jordin's name. I didn't realize he was your cousin."

"Mercedes is much better than the revolving door of hoes that Jordin brought home."