Crazy is as crazy does

The following chapter will contain triggering content. I advised reader discretion.

Roman

I skipped Rafe's birthday party to help Sam. I got an earful from my dads, but I didn't care. This was important to me.

The rain pelted the garage doors and windows as we worked on the engine.

"I was thinking we could restore Betsy," I mentioned.

Sam stopped working and lifted her head to me. "What?"

"Yeah. She's not in bad shape. We could buff out the rust spots and repaint it."

Sam pointed her wrench at me and waved it at me. "Are you trying to spend more time with me?"

"Who? Me? I wouldn't dream of it." My lips curled into a mischievous smirk.

"Uh, huh. You can't lie to save your ass."

"When have I ever lied?"

"Hmm, let me think." Sam tapped her lips. "How about when you broke up with me?"

I dropped my hands. "I already told you the truth about that."

"Are you sure you're planning to destroy me again?"

I leaned forward. "You can blame your bitch of a mother for that bullshit."

Sam gave me an annoyed look.

"Look, I'm going to rehash what happened. We know who caused this entire mess. The truth is I never stopped loving you."

"But you dated other girls."

"But they weren't you."

Sam chewed on her bottom lip when she was contemplating something. She would squint her eyes and purse her lips when unsure about something. She would give me a cheeky grin when she wanted to do something, and I wasn't on board with it. She had all these facial expressions that captured your attention.

"So, you didn't have a girlfriend after me?" Sam asked.

"No," I shook my head.

Sam shifted in her spot and averted her eyes from me to the floor. I set my socket down, crept toward her, and spun her around. Sam's eyes widen as her mouth opens.

"I know you're scared. I am, too. But I would rather be scared with you than without you."

"I don't want to get my heart broken again."

"I won't break your heart ever again. Please give me another chance." My heart thundered in my chest.

Sam's green eyes met my blue eyes. "Okay."

I cupped her face, dipped my head, and crashed my lips into hers. Sam pressed her hands on my back and kissed me back. Our lips molded together as we stood in the garage and kissed.

I had missed Sam. We dated for four years before it all came crashing down. I tried to date other girls, but they weren't Sam and would never be her. She was my first and only love. You never forget your first love.

We broke from our kiss. I pressed my lips to her forehead and kissed it before resting my forehead against hers. Then my phone rang. Damn it.

I pulled away and dug my phone from my pocket. "What?"

Hi, to you, too. Jordin said.

"I'm busy, you halfwit."

You can't be too busy if you're not at Raphael's birthday.