Who are you?

Dyson

I spent most of the day outside working and cleaning up the dead plants. Gertie brought me cold water and would talk to me. We discussed different things. I didn't mind since she kept me company.

"It's nice to have someone to talk to," Gertie said.

"Don't you have people to talk to?"

"Most people are busy."

"People make time for who they want. Don't let anyone tell you differently."

"What about you? Do you have any friends?"

"Not really."

"How come?"

"Most people don't take the time."

"What about your family?"

"My family pushes me aside. So, I do my own thing."

"That's a shame."

"It's alright. I learned who cares and who doesn't."

"Well, if you don't mind, I can be your friend."

"I would like that."

Gertie and I had a lot in common. People didn't bother with us, or they ignored us. Neither of us had friends. So, why not become friends? There's no rule that says a sixty-year-old can't be friends with a twenty-one-year-old.

"Why don't you finish, and we'll have dinner?"

"Sounds good."

Gertie headed inside as I took the tools back to the shed.

******
Gabby

I left the lab and headed home. I felt terrible for working so much and not being home with Grams. With school and work, I barely saw her. Hell, I haven't seen my friends.

If it weren't for Sofie and Rachel, I wouldn't have known what happened to Daría. It sucked that I didn't get to say goodbye. Phooey.

I stopped by the bakery to pick up a treat for Grams and saw a guy cleaning tables. You would think working in a bakery would make you happy. This guy seemed miserable.

"Can I help you?" A guy asked.

"Yeah, can you give me six chocolate cupcakes?"

The guy nodded and gathered my order. The guy wiping tables walked past me. He was kind of cute but probably has a girlfriend. Damn. I scrunched my face at the thought.

I will die a lonely lab technician without cats or plants.

The guy returned with my order. I paid and left with Grams' special treat. I walked to my car as people walked past me and entered the bakery. Why does everyone have someone, and I have no one? Ugh.

I climbed into my car, laid my head on the steering wheel, and pondered why I was still single. I'm a spinster at twenty-one. That thought depressed me.

I started the car and headed home. After pulling into the driveway and getting out, I walked to the house but stopped when I heard rustling. I crept around the side to see the shed door open. Did grams forget to lock the shed again? This is the third time in a row.

I set my cupcake container and purse down and grabbed my pepper spray. I crept toward the shed and heard movement with someone mumbling. What the hell?

Once I reached the shed, a guy appeared in the doorway. My eyes widened. I screamed and sprayed the stranger with my pepper spray.

"Ahhhh!" The guy covered his eyes and dropped to his knees.

"Who are you?"

"Ahhhh!"