Beach day

Daría

After meeting Ryden's grandparents, Sofie begged us to go to the beach. Ryden convinced me to wear a short leave shirt and shorts by threatening to hide my snow globe again. What's with him and my snow globe? You would think the guy had this weird obsession with it.

I caved and wore the damn short sleeve shirt and shorts, but I refused to leave my bedroom.

"Thumbelina, no one will say anything."

"Because no one will see anything." I stood with my arms crossed.

"No, because no one will say anything."

I pushed my lips out. I wanted to believe Ryden, but I still had my doubts. I spent years listening to people degrade me while inflicting pain. After a while, you start to accept them.

"Daría, no one is forcing you to wear a swimsuit. Your clothes cover most of your scars. Trust me."

"You're asking someone who suffered hell to trust you. Did you take one too many punches to the head?"

Ryden arched his brow.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Can I have my snow globe back?"

"Yes." Ryden took my hand and dragged me from my bedroom.

I dragged my feet, not to make it easy for him. Hey, if Ryden wants me to wear a tee shirt and shorts to the beach, I'll make his life difficult.

******
Ryden

I get that Daría has body issues because of what happened to her. But it didn't matter to me. She was beyond beautiful. Everything about her was incredible. Maybe it was because she wasn't fake like most girls.

We climbed into the car. I drove to the beach parking lot, parked next to a car, and got out. Daría hesitated until I dragged her from the vehicle. She wasn't staying in the car at the beach.

Eventually, I flung Daria over my shoulder and carried her towards the others. She struggled until I set her down on the sand.

"Nice of you to join us, Daria," Gabby said.

"I didn't have a choice. A giant kidnapped me and forced me to wear shorts," Daria huffed.

"It's better than wearing long sleeves and pants in a hundred-degree weather," Casper said.

"Who let you out of your spirit box?" I asked.

"Your evil mojo did, fool."

I raised my brow.

"I came to bond with the family I never met because our parents like to lose us."

"Still holding a grudge, I see."

"Still a dipshit, I see." Casper shrugged.

Leokadia jumped on Casper and knocked him to the ground.

"What the hell, Leo?" Casper huffed.

"That's what you get for giving me a hard time at the party." Leokadia slugged Casper in the arm and got off of him. She turned to Daría. "Finally, I have family to gang up on Casper."

Casper stood up. "You have a big ass family. Did you forget about your moody fiancé?"

"I didn't forget, and Val's not moody. He doesn't like most people." Leokadia shrugged.

I shook my head. Welcome to the beautiful world of the Harpers.

*******
Daría

I tugged at my shorts, trying to cover my legs more.