Rome wasnt built in a day

Jayden

After speaking to Daría, I left the house to find Kyler and Ryden sitting on the back deck.

"So, what's the verdict, Uncle Jayden? Can you help her?" Kyler asked.

"Yes, I can. From what I can tell, Daria has suffered a traumatic experience."

"What did you talk about?" Ryden asked.

"I can't discuss what a patient talks to me about due to doctor confidentiality. If the patient wants to discuss it, they can. But I would like Daría to speak to someone else, too. This person would get Daría to talk about her past."

"Who?" Kyler asked.

"Conner."

The boys furrowed their brows. I didn't need to tell them why since Conner deals with physical abuse with children.

"I can have Conner come here until Daría feels comfortable to come to the office. But no one can be in the room with us. Daria won't talk if you are."

"If this helps, then so be it," Ryden said.

"I'll stop by and talk to Conner on my way to the office. We'll devise a program to help Daría."

The boys nodded in agreement.

I left Odin's house and drove to Conner's office. I walked in, headed to his office, and found him jotting notes in a file. I knocked on the doorframe as Conner looked up from his work. "Do you have a minute to discuss a patient?"

"Yeah, sure." Conner leaned back in his desk chair.

I took a seat in front of his desk. "Kyler called me about Daría."

"Isn't that the girl Kyler became the legal guardian of?"

"Yes. Kyler suspected that Daría had suffered abuse."

Conner drew in his brows.

"I met with Daria today and spoke to her. She presents all the signs of physical and sexual abuse."

"Jayden, I won't tell you this a simple case because it's not. You don't know how long this girl endured the abuse."

"I'm hoping we could work on this case together."

"It won't be easy."

"Nothing is ever easy in life. But this girl deserves a chance. Kyler is at a loss on how to help her. The only one she will let get close to her is Ryden."

"Ryden might be key to helping Daría."

"What do you mean?"

"A child or teen who endured abuse will gravitate to one person because they become their safe place. Tell Ryden to keep offering reassurance. Let Daría approach him. If she trusts him, he can get her to talk to us."

I nodded in agreement.

People broke this girl. How much can one person endure before they ultimately give up?

******
Daría

I sat on the couch and rubbed my legs. Someone waved a key in front of me. I lifted my head to find Kyler and Ryden standing before me. Ryden held the key between his finger and thumb.

"What?" I asked.

"You wanted a key. Here, you go," Ryden said.

I reached for Ryden's hand and took the key tentatively from him. I wrapped my hand around it and held it to my chest.

Kyler sat on the coffee table. "Daría, we want to help you. We don't know your story. But I hope one day you will tell us."

"Please don't call the cops on me," I whispered. Tears dripped down my cheeks. I brushed them away.