Andrew

Daría

My dad wanted to spend time with him, but I didn't feel comfortable meeting him where he was staying. So, Ryden, that chump, invited Andrew to the house.

Why does my boyfriend keep forcing me into doing things I don't want to do? Does he have some need to make me miserable? Why can't he let me stay in my little bubble?

If you were wondering, I caved when Ryden asked me to be his girl. It wouldn't matter anyway since he clung to me like a cheap suit.

I paced the living room with my arms crossed.

"Will you relax?" Ryden asked me.

"How can I relax when I'm seeing my dad for the second time? That's like asking a pissed-off female to calm down. Or better yet, throwing a cat into a tub of water."

Ryden arched his brow while he sat on the couch. "Andrew won't hurt you, or I'll hurt him."

"You won't hurt my dad. You'll sic Roman on him, you chickenshit."

Ryden rolled his eyes and shook his head.

We heard a knock on the screen door.

"I'll get it. You keep wearing a hole in the floor." Ryden got up, answered the door, and stepped aside.

Andrew stepped inside and offered a small smile. "Thanks for letting me come over."

"Do you want anything to drink?" Ryden asked.

"A pop if you have one."

"Sure. Have a seat." Ryden looked at me and pointed. "Behave."

I rolled my eyes. Ryden walked into the kitchen.

Andrew approached me cautiously with his hands up. "I don't want to scare you."

I pursed my lips and stood there.

Andrew sat in a recliner. Ryden returned with three pops and handed one to Andrew. He sat on the couch and patted the cushion next to him. I rolled my eyes and joined him.

Andrew looked at me. "You grew into a beautiful woman, Tink. I remember how tiny you were when you were born. You looked like this little porcelain doll."

"What was I like when I was a baby?"

"Oh, you were curious and determined. You would try to walk by yourself. When I tried to help you, you would smack my hand away. You loved wooden puzzles and would spend hours putting pieces together. We would work on them together."

"I don't remember any of that."

"You were two when your mom ran with you. I spent years looking for you."

"We would move constantly. When I asked Mom why she would say she found another job. Then one day, she went to the store and never returned."

"I didn't know your mom changed your last name or left you. I wish I would have found you."

"I wish you would have found me, too."

My dad nodded in agreement. "I missed so much time with you, Tink. I would have given anything to have you home. You were my baby girl. But your mom robbed us when she took you."

As much as I wanted to believe my mom's lies about my dad and hate him, I couldn't. My mom caused this mess with her selfishness. How can a woman destroy people's lives with her selfish behavior?

Then I remembered what Jordin said.

I stood up and crept toward my dad. He watched me without moving. I stopped in front of him before leaning over and hugging him.