Working my way back to you, babe

Roman

I met Sam at the auto shop to work on her car.

She showed up dressed in jeans, a tee shirt, and a hoodie. "Well, I'm here."

"Don't sound so enthused about it."

"Okay, I won't."

I raised my brow.

"So, where do we start?"

"I need to pull the engine. It's shot."

"Let's do it."

I popped the hood, moved an arm with chains, and hooked them around the engine. Then I laid on a roller, moved underneath the car, and unhooked the lines. I didn't need the lines to snap, or it would become a more significant issue. Once the engine was ready, I raised it from the car and moved it to a prop.

It was easier to rehaul an engine outside the car. Sam grabbed a socket and removed bolts as I had shown her.

"I see you still remember what I taught you," I said.

"You were a good teacher." Sam shrugged.

"Your folks hated when you worked on this car."

"My parents didn't understand how much it meant to me. They thought it was stupid."

"It's not stupid. It was your dream."

"Yeah, well, dreams don't mean much anymore."

"Says who?"

"Says life."

I looked at Sam as she wrenched on the engine. Then I got to work. We worked most of the evening on it before taking a break.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"I'll order a pizza."

Sam nodded and took a seat on a milk crate. I ordered the usual. It arrived twenty minutes later. When Sam lifted the lid on the box, she stopped.

"What?" I asked.

"It's the same type of pizza we used to get."

"It's the same type I always get." I shrugged.

Sam lifted her face to me. "Really."

"Yeah. My cousins think I'm weird."

"You're cousins don't have any taste. How can they not get a pizza with everything on it? It's like an explosion in your mouth."

"They're picky."

"Eh, food snobs. I blame your brother."

"Don't let Ryden hear you say that."

Sam laughed. Damn, I missed her laugh.

******
Sam

Having pizza and working on Betsy reminded me of when I bought her. She was my first car and needed a lot of work. But Roman helped me restore her to her former glory. We spent countless hours working on her and ordered pizza for the late nights. It was where I learned about cars.

"What's with the look?" Roman took a bite of his pizza.

"I remembered when I bought Betsy. Brady thought I was crazy to want to restore her."

"You weren't crazy and wanted something of your own that didn't come from your folks."

"My parents felt it was a frivolous idea and balked at it. They hated me working on a car and offered to buy me a new one."