There goes the bag

Daría

I hid behind Ryden, hoping no one heard me. But in this house, the walls are ultra-thin.

"Daría, it's okay. No one will hurt you," Odin said.

I peeked around Ryden as everyone stood near the door.

"Take deep breaths," Ryden said.

I gripped his chef's uniform tighter.

"Can you hand me that?" Ryden pointed to the snow globe sitting on the dresser.

"Yeah, sure." Kyler grabbed the snow globe and handed it to Ryden.

"Thanks." Ryden pried my hands from his back and turned to me. He placed the snow globe in my hands. "Shake it."

I shook the globe as fake snow floated around in the liquid. It fell to the bottom until it stopped.

"Again."

I shook it again. When the fake snow stopped, Ryden would tell me to shake it again. My body relaxed after a while.

Then someone shoved a carton of ice cream in my face and shook it. I glanced at Sofie. She produced two spoons. Ryden took the carton and utensils from her and guided me to the bed. I sat down as he joined me.

He removed the lid, handed me a spoon, and scooped out a spoonful of ice cream. "I need some help with the ice cream. If I eat all this, I'll turn into Odin."

"Hey! You make me sound like I gained weight," Odin said.

"Oh, babe. You have." Sofie patted Odin's stomach. "Although I'm not sure where since you have muscles."

"It's called construction work." Odin rolled his eyes.

I shoved my spoon into the ice cream, scooped it out, and took a bite.

"Better?" Ryden asked me.

I nodded and looked at Roman. "Did you really beat Andre's ass?"

"Yeah, I did," Roman said.

"Good." I shoved another spoonful of ice cream into my mouth.

"You don't need to tell us what happened. But know, you're safe here," Odin said.

"Yeah, I got that with everyone's hovering."

Everyone looked at me.

"But it's nice to know people care about you. I'm not used to anyone caring about me."

"We take care of our own," Kyler said.

"It's true," Sofie said.

We looked at Sofie.

"Odin protected me from my asshole father. His cousins, dad, and uncle came when I called. Although Odin had a rough night after getting hit by his cousin Val and my dad." Sofie shrugged.

"Really, Sofie?" Odin gave her an incredulous look.

"Well, you did hit Val's brother."

"Not helping."

Sofie shrugged again.

"You're one of a kind, Sofie," I said.

"I got to be me!"

"Can you be you somewhere else?"

"I'll take care of this." Odin grabbed Sofie's hand and dragged her from the room.

Kyler and Roman followed suit, with Kyler closing the door behind them.

"Do you feel better?" Ryden asked me.