Oh, God

Ryden

After sitting for a while, I got up to finish my breakfast and get ready for work. I gave Daría a lift to the restaurant to give Kyler a break.

We arrived and got ready for our shifts. As people arrived and orders came in, I cooked them. Things were going well until we heard a familiar nasal voice.

Did you ever watch Friends? There's this one character named Janice with a voice that drives you nuts. Mandy had that type of voice.

Daria and I peeked over the kitchen opening at Mandy's table. She was using a spoon to check her teeth.

"Oh, God. Why is Mandy here?" I asked.

"Your ex is like a fungal infection that itches and drives you insane."

I screwed up my face. "That's an image I will never get rid of. Thanks."

"You're welcome." Daria smirked.

"Can a girl get service around here?" Mandy bellowed.

"Your ex just demolished my eardrum with her voice." Daria shoved her finger in her ear and moved it around.

"Excuse me! Can I get some service?" Mandy screeched.

"There goes my other eardrum."

I glanced at Daria and arched my brow.

"How the hell did you date this banshee?"

"It wasn't by choice."

When Mandy looked at the kitchen opening, we ducked out of view.

"How is dating a plastic Barbie not a choice? Guys, don't seek out that train wreck."

"It's a long story."

"I'm all ears." Daria smirked.

"Long story short, I pretended to be my brother to break up with his girlfriend and used Mandy to help me."

"Oh, you got saddled with that because your brother is a chickenshit. Makes sense."

"It's not what you think."

"Then explain it before I use my dog whistle to get your ex's attention."

"Do you even have a dog whistle?"

"What do you think?" Daría raised her brow.

I didn't want to find out. "Okay. Fine. Roman saw his girlfriend with this guy when he showed up at Sam's house. Her parents told Roman that Sam met someone."

"What?"

"Yep. So my brother had me pose at him and dumped her, using another girl to prove it. I regret helping my brother now because Mandy won't leave me alone."

"Your brother is dumb. You're even dumber for agreeing to his plan." Daria rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, I realize that now."

My dad walked into the kitchen and saw Daria and me crouched on the floor. "Is there a reason you're hiding in the kitchen?"

"Yeah, Mandy is here."

Dad leaned backward and spotted Mandy. "Christ." He closed the door. "Wasn't it bad enough you dated that wench?"

"You're not helping. What happened to parental support?"

"Son, I love you, but I can't support your lack of judgment with your banshee ex. Your dad threatened to drive her to Timbuktu and leave her there."

"Yeah, Nate's not a fan of whiny voices."