Surprise

Daria

I willed my legs to move, but they wouldn't budge.

The man took a step toward me. I took a step back.  

The man stopped. "Daria, I'm your dad."

"No." I shook my head. "My dad skipped out on me when I was two. My mom told me so."

"I didn't leave you, baby. Your mom took you from me."

"That's a lie!"

"Daria, I swear to God it's not. I would never leave you. You were everything to me."

"Then where have you been? Why didn't you come for me?"

"I tried, but your mom disappeared with you. I searched for years but couldn't find you."

"I don't believe you." I shook my head.

"It's true," a man said.

I snapped my head at the guy. He pulled out a folded piece of paper, unfolded it, and handed it to me. I snatched it from his hand and looked at it. My heart dropped as tears formed. It was a picture of me when I was little.

"I filed a missing person's report with the police. I hired a private investigator to search for you. Every time he got close, your mom ran."

Tears fell onto the paper as my hands shook.

"I would have given anything to have you home, Tinkerbell."

I lifted my head as tears dripped down my cheeks and whispered, "I remember that name. I couldn't remember where I heard it, but I heard it in my dreams."

"You loved Tinkerbell when you were little. So, I called you it."

My bottom lip quivered as I broke. My dad rushed to me and engulfed me with his arms. I buried my face into him and sobbed.

"It's okay, Tink. I'm here." He rubbed my back.

My mom had lied to me for years. Because of her lies, I endured a hellish nightmare. It wasn't fair. I didn't do anything wrong.

********
Ryden

I entered the house to find Oliver, Morgan, and a guy holding Daria. "What's going on?"

Everyone looked at me.

"Ryden, meet Daria's father, Andrew," Oliver said.

My brows lifted in surprise. What the hell?

******
Daria

After the initial shock wore off, we sat at the kitchen table and talked. My dad explained what happened between him and my mom. I couldn't believe my mom would do that.

"Are you okay?" Ryden asked me.

"Yeah. It sucks knowing your parent lied to you," I said.

"Daria, you don't know me. But I want to get to know you if you'll let me," my dad said.

"I have trust issues."

"That's understandable."

"No, you don't understand." I shook my head.

"What don't I understand, baby?"

I looked at Ryden, and he nodded. I turned to my dad. "There are things that happened to me after Mom skated."

"Like what?"

I furrowed my brows.

Ryden placed his hand on mine and squeezed it, then looked at Oliver. "Can you get Conner?"