You have family; then you have the Harpers

Daría

If I learned anything from the Harper family is that they enjoy airing dirty laundry. I found out more about this family than I intended to. The best part was when Gabe whipped out Ryden's baby book for me to see.

"Oh, hell no! You're not showing Thumbelina pictures of me!" Ryden tried to take the baby book from Gabe.

Gabe moved the book away from Ryden. "It's my fatherly duty to embarrass my boys. Now sit down and quit your bitching, Bucky."

Ryden grumbled and sat in a chair. Gabe handed me the photo album. I opened it and looked at the different photographs. Gabe explained each one to me.

"Oh, look!" I held up the album and pointed to a picture of Ryden on a rug without a diaper. "You cute tushie!"

Ryden glared at me.

"It's so small, round, and white!"

Nate snickered.

"That's not funny," Ryden said through gritted teeth.

I flipped a page. "Oh, here you are naked in the bath."

Ryden narrowed his eyes to a slit.

"Oh, this one is even better." I turned the book around, looked down, and pointed at the picture. "You're wearing a cowboy hat, a gun holster, cowboy boots, and nothing else."

"I was two."

"And you enjoyed letting it all hangout. You give new meaning to the phrase free balling."

Elias and Tori were rolling.

"You wait," Ryden said.

I snickered and flipped the pages until my smile disappeared and my brows furrowed. I closed the book and handed it to Gabe. "Thanks for showing me Ryden's baby book."

Gabe took the book from me and knitted his brows in concern. "Are you okay?"

"Yep. But Ryden had enough embarrassment for one night. Excuse me." I got up, headed to the bathroom, and closed the door. I sat on the edge of the tub and rubbed my face. I wasn't expecting to see a picture of Ryden in the hospital.

A few minutes later, I heard a knock at the door with a voice following it. "Thumbelina?"

"Yeah?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Uh, yeah."

"I'm coming in." Ryden opened the door, slipped inside, and closed it. "What are you doing?"

"Hanging out in the bathroom."

"Why?"

"Why not? It's a nice bathroom." I shrugged.

Ryden walked toward me and took a seat on the toilet lid. "What happened?"

"Do you want the truth?"

"I wouldn't if I didn't ask."

"I saw a picture of you in the hospital."

"Oh."

"I didn't want to say anything and embarrass you."

"Yeah."

"Now I understand how much I frustrated you."

Ryden glanced at me. "What?"

"You spent months trying to get me to open up to you. Here, I'm expecting you to be open without any issues."

"You went through hell. Don't ever compare your situation to my mine. No one would blame you for not wanting to open up to them. Why would you? It's not like people gave you a reason to trust them."