A new life

Dyson

I hauled my bags to Gertie's house. When I reached the front door, I knocked and waited. The front door opened as Gertie appeared. She stepped aside so I could enter. Then she showed me to a bedroom upstairs.

"It's not much," Gertie said.

"Oh, no. It's perfect." I set my bags on the bed.

"Why don't I show you where everything is?"

I nodded and followed Gertie downstairs and outside to the garden shed. She opened the door to reveal everything I would need to work outside.

"What do you think?"

"It's great. I can utilize the equipment you have and beautify your curb appeal."

Gertie cocked her head and studied my face. "What happened to your face?"

"Oh, this," I pointed at my face, "it's nothing. I had a disagreement with my family."

Gertie's brows lifted in surprise.

"It's fine. Really."

Gertie knitted her brows. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I won't bother you much. I promise."

"Okay. But you need to eat. You look like skin and bones." Gertie gestured at me.

I nodded but didn't respond. I didn't want Gertie to kick me out like my parents did. Maybe if I make myself scarce, she will let me stay.

"Why don't I get to work?"

"Are you sure you don't want to get settled first?"

"Positive."

"Okay." Gertie offered me a small smile and left me to my work.

My phone rang. I saw my dad calling and declined the call. It rang again. I kept hitting decline. He has Decker and Dixon now. He doesn't need to worry about me.

******
Deacon

I called Dyson, but it went to voicemail. I kept trying, but the same thing happened.

"Did you get a hold of Dyson?" Gia asked.

I looked at my phone and shook my head.

"Give Dyson time. He'll come around."

"I don't even know where Dyson went or if he's okay." I shrugged.

Gia knitted her brows.

Decker and Dixon walked into the house with smiles.

"We found a job," Decker said.

I cleared my throat. "That's great."

"Don't you want to know where?" Dixon asked.

I lifted my head and plastered a smile on my face. "Where?"

"I'm working at the bakery," Decker said.

"I'm a busboy at the restaurant," Dixon said.

"That's great," I said.

"Where's Dyson?" Decker asked.

"Uh, your brother moved out."

Decker and Dixon knitted their brows in concern.

"What?" Decker asked.

"Yeah," I turned and went upstairs to Dyson's room.

I walked inside and looked at his room to find his clothes missing. Dyson left everything else behind. I walked over and picked up that damn dog whistle from his desk. Why would he use a dog whistle?