Chapter 21 : Audition Day

It was audition day, and the two vital roles were up first, Madame Vestia and two other members observed every student who was trying for the main character.

Some were nervous, and others felt confident. Gage was one of those who were on edge as he stood at the back of the stage watching the Juliet auditioners one by one. He could feel his heart beating fast and his palms were all sweaty that not only was he going to show his performance but the fact that he had to do it in front of so many people regardless he would do it well or not.

Eventually, it was Courtney's turn to try out and prove that she could play Juliet. "Tis but thy name that is my enemy, thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot, nor arm, nor face, nor any other part belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," she performed. "So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, and for that name which is no part of thee take all myself. And Scene."

"Perfect. Thank you, Courtney Jude," Madame Vestia said. "Next up, Annabel Ramos."

The cocky theatre actress felt like she did a remarkable job, then went to the back to see Gage, "I think they don't have to look no more because I nailed that," she claimed.

"Yeah, you definitely aced it," Gage said to her.

"Yeah, I did, so you better ace it too."

That did not help Gage's anxiety since it made him even more jittery than before. All the girls trying out for Juliet were over, so it was time for the Romeos. That was when Oddey quietly came in, and he saw her sitting somewhere in the middle under the dim parts of the auditorium seats to watch the other people auditioning.

"Thank you, Amos Reid. Next up, Gage Munro," the professor called out. With all the courage he could muster, the architect major walked to the center of the stage. "Anytime. you're ready."

The boy took a deep breath to release tension, then looked over to Oddey, who was giving him two thumbs up to be supportive with her gentle smile and friendly eyes.

"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, who is already sick and pale with grief, that thou her maid art far more fair than she: Be not her maid, since she is envious." Gage began saying his line then looked towards the girl with porcelain skin, plump red lips, and ravenous black hair.

He noticed how she leaned on her side, her head resting on her hand, and that one light in the auditorium made her eyes twinkle like the stars in the night sky as she watched him. Gage was mesmerized and just stared at her while he continued reciting.

"Her eyes in heaven would through the airy region stream so bright that birds would sing and think it were not night. See how she leans her cheek upon her hand! O, that I was a glove upon that hand, that I might touch that cheek," he recited while admiring Oddey. He got back to reality once he finished and turned back to the panels.

Madame Vestia just nodded, "Okay, thank you, Gage Munro," she told him. "Next, Alec Brown."

Gage returned backstage, and Courtney ran to him, "Wow, that was something else," she squealed.

"Really? I don't remember what happened," Gage said, looking all puzzled.

"Well, you just rocked your audition."

"You think so?"

"Trust me, I know so."

"Well, I'm not expecting anything."