Chapter 71 : The Last Bow

Adrian was in the other hospital to have his gun wound checked on his shoulder. He had his own room because he was heading to prison, and his one hand was being cuffed on the railing of his bed.

While his wound was being treated by the doctors, he squirmed in pain and cussed everyone. The failure of his revenge plan hit him so hard that it nearly cost him his life.

Once it was done, his wife and son went inside the room. "Gage, Marie," the man gasped, thinking that they still cared for him. "I'm so glad that you guys are here."

Regardless, his family's expression said otherwise as they exchanged glances and then looked at him again. "We just want to see you," Gage said. "How are you feeling, Dad? What did the doctor say?"

"The doctor managed to take the bullet out. He said it's not that bad. I'll live."

"That's great, Dad," the young man replied coldly.

"Please, help me," the father begged them.

"We're not here to help you, Adrian," Marie clarified in a stern tone.

"What?" Adrian choked and could tell that his wife was serious. "What do you mean you're not going to help me?"

"Why? Do you expect us to do that?"

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

"You know what? I don't know how I feel about you," Gage voiced what was on his mind. "I want to feel bad for you, but it doesn't feel right. I want to hate you, but I'm not sure if I want to do that because you're... my Dad."

Adrian began to tear up, yet teardrops were not making it better for him since his wife just gazed at him with resentment while her child opened up to his evil father. "Then don't," he sobbed. "Don't hate me, son. I'm sorry."

"Sorry, for what exactly?" Marie interrogated. "For stealing me from Leon? For putting him in jail for something the crimes he did not do? Attempting to kill him?"

"Lying to us? To make us think that Mr. Magnum was the bad guy? Shooting Oddey?" Gage added. "Kidnapping her from the hospital room to get back at Mr. Magnum? And after that, you were going to shoot her again RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!? AFTER I BEGGED YOU NOT TO?!"

The man became speechless and just put his head down. "So tell us, tell us what's there to be sorry for Adrian?" his wife asked. "And you have the nerve to ask for help from us. Perhaps I didn't love Leon, but I regret that I loved you. That I vowed to spend the rest of my life with someone so evil."

"I wish you're not my Dad had I known about you before," Gage exasperated bluntly. "That's all I have to say. Maybe someday, I will forgive you, but I will forget that you were ever my father."

"Gage, no..." Adrian gasped in horror.

"This will be the last time you'll see us, Adrian," Marie added. "Expect to see divorce papers soon enough. Let's go, Gage."

"Goodbye, Dad," Gage bid one last farewell to his father, then quickly went out the door along with his mother.

"No! Gage! Marie!" Adrian cried to his family as they left him with no hesitation while he tried to reach them, but there was no use since he could not move his one arm, and the other was cuffed to the railing. "Come back! Gage! Marie!"

As time passed, it was like spring, the skies turned blue, the sun came to shine, and the flowers bloomed from the darkness that befell on them.

A darkness that Adrian put upon Leon years ago, when his life turned for the worse because of him. However, in the end, the table was turned for him to pay the price of his selfishness.