Chapter 23: Safe?

I approached the Hogwarts castle and I saw Severus waiting at the doors. The sun was beginning to set, casting a yellow glow over the grounds. As Severus's eyes locked with mine he began running toward me, pulling me against his chest. I could feel his heart racing in his chest as he wrapped one arm around my waist, the other resting on the back of my head.

"Where were you, darling?" he asked me, his hands shaking as he pulled away, holding my shoulders. "I thought you would've been back hours ago."

"I'm sorry. I was in Hogsmeade and Sirius found me. I didn't realize how much time had passed."

"You were with Black?" he spat, anger flashing in his eyes.

"Severus..." I said in a warning tone.

"What? He just showed up in Hogsmeade and you two were busy for hours?"

"Sev, it's nothing like that! He was in town for Harry! We ran into each other in Hogsmeade and we went somewhere to talk."

"Where?"

"A small cave near Hogsmeade. We just talked, Sev."

"For hours?"

"Sev, he was locked up for 12 years. We had a lot to talk about. He apologized for his outburst about our relationship and we just talked. We just caught up and talked about the upcoming task. Nothing else happened!"

His eyes softened as he pulled me closer. "I was so worried. I thought something happened to you," he whispered.

"I'm sorry, Sev," I whispered, my hands resting on his chest. "I didn't realize how much time had passed."

"But you just talked...? That's all?" he asked, his face buried in my hair.

I carefully pulled away, though still keeping him close, and looked up at him. His eyes were glossy, filled with so many emotions, each one difficult to sort from one another. He looked down at me, carefully stroking my cheek as he waited for my answer.

"Yes, my love. We just talked. Mostly about Harry and the upcoming tasks but also about the last 12 years. He understands that I've moved on but we are going to remain friends."

Severus nodded, pressing a soft kiss against my hair. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too, Sev."

He offered me his arm and I happily took it. We made our way back into the castle and as we reached the door to his chambers I suddenly remembered what Sirius had said. I paused as Severus opened the door, waiting for me to step inside, and he looked at me curiously.

"Darling?" he asked softly.

I shook my head, clearing it of the worrying thoughts, and stepped into the room.

"Are you alright?" he asked, closing the door behind me.

"Yeah, sorry... it was just something Sirius said. I forgot about it until now."

"What is it, love?"

"Harry is having the same dreams as me. They are wondering who the woman is and Harry's connection to the Dark Lord is getting stronger... and if Tom needs my blood to come back... I'm afraid, Sev."

Severus was taking off his cloak when he heard the last words. He reached me in an instant, wrapping his cloak around my shoulders. His mood had changed completely, instantly feeling the need to protect me from something that hasn't happened yet. His strong arms held my body close to his as his cloak rested over my shoulders, shielding me from the outside world.

"I know, my darling. I know... I won't let anyone hurt you," he soothed, his hands resting in my hair, knowing it relaxes me.

"Why are we having the same dreams, Sev?" I whispered, trying not to allow my voice to crack.

"I don't know, my love... I don't know. I wish I had the answers for you but I promise you... I will look after you. I will do everything in my power to keep you safe."