Chapter Five

San Francisco, California, U.S.A.

November 12, 2022.

Madison Stone's Point Of View.

"You told me that sometimes you felt like coming here when we were in a biology class." Bryan says and I smile.

"I didn't even remember that anymore."

"Yeah, but I like to keep what we talk about." He comes closer and sits down next to me. "You cut your hair." He says happily surprised.

"Yes. I thought it was time for a change of look," I run my hand through my hair and he smiles.

"You look beautiful," I look him in the eye and give him the sincerest smile.

"Thank you." I say and turn my gaze to the sea. "How are things going in Los Angeles?"

"Everyone is desperate after you." And I nod my head, not wanting to give too much thought to the fact that I have left for people who love me behind.

"How is my mom?"

"She's crazy after you. She went to the police station to report your missing and ask the police to look for you. And from what I saw when I went to visit her and give some kind of support for, even made friends with the deputy she did."

"It's her face to do something like that," I say smiling.

"But what about you? How are you?"

"Oh, I am getting rid of the longing I was feeling for this place, but at the same time that I am doing this, I am missing Anthony, because everywhere I look I remember him."

"He used to play volleyball with us here when we were younger." Bryan remembers and I smile at the memories that come to mind.

"It hurts to know that he is no longer here." He nods and I realize that I am starting to feel sad again, so I say no more about Anthony.

I am allowing myself to suffer, because I am human, but I am setting limits, because even though I love him and feel guilty for what happened, I cannot suffer forever. I know that this won't do me any good and that Anthony wouldn't like to see me like this.

"Why did you run away?" He stares at me curiously.

"A lot of bad things happened in my life at once, Bryan. I tried to move on, but every time I did that, more trouble came along, so I decided it was better to get some time alone to get my head on straight."

"What happened?" I turn my gaze to him wondering if I really should tell him. "You know you can trust me," he says and I take a deep breath.

"I think you know everything..."

"Then let's check to see if I really know." He pauses for a moment and then begins to speak again. "I know about your parents' separation, I know about Anthony's death, and I know about your breakup with Andrey. Is there anything else?" And I ruefully agree.

"The same day Anthony died..." I begin to tell what happened that Friday that I will never forget and the Monday that I went back to school.

"Madison.. I don't even know what to say." He speaks in shock as soon as I finish speaking. "The teacher committed a crime and so did the Principal."

"Yes.. he may have been right when he said he couldn't do anything because I had no proof, but I am sure that many other students have felt uncomfortable with Alexander's behavior and complained about it to him, including Andrey did this, so he should keep an eye on the teacher, but instead he took the teacher's side and tried to make me give up on pursuing this story."

"They have to pay for their actions," he says angrily. "What will you do? Know that I will support you."

"If there is one thing that has really frustrated me it is that I have no proof that he really did this to me, which makes it almost impossible for me to get him to at least lose his job." I say and he looks at me sadly.

In the last few days I was thinking about this and I realized how difficult it is for a girl or a boy, since not only girls are subjected to this type of situation, to prove that they are in fact the victims, because justice needs concrete evidence and many times, because you don't expect it to happen to you and because it happens at a time when obviously you are not expecting it or in a place where there are no cameras or witnesses, it is difficult for you to get anything and it is heartbreaking.

I already knew this, but because I felt so guilty for not doing anything at the time, I was desperate to find a way to prove that I am the victim and that he is the criminal that I ended up forgetting how hard it is to prove such a thing, but when I read that headline that day at the LAN house, I remembered and it discorouged me so much.

"When are you going back to Los Angeles?" He asks.

"I don't know.. I know at some point I'm going to have to go back, but I don't know if I really want to do that," I say and he shakes his head in denial.

"Running away from where you live or changing the cut of your hair will not make you stop being who you are or make you forget and get over what happened. You know it, we both know it."

"I know, but.." he interrupts me.

"You need to come back as soon as possible so we can think of a way to make them pay for what they did."

"We?" He agrees.

"You know I would never let you go through this alone. We have to do something."

"I don't think there is anything to do." I say, frustrated. "Only if I make him do the same thing to me again, only this time recording it so I have evidence against him." I mock angrily and he looks at me completely shocked.

"Don't even think about doing something crazy like that, Madison."

"I won't do that. It was just an irony, since it takes thousands of pieces of evidence to get justice on your side."

We are silent for a while just watching the sea. I know from the way he moves his feet that he is wanting to say something, but he is holding back, which doesn't last long.

"But then?" He stares at me and I don't understand.

"But then what?"

"Will you come back to Los Angeles with me?" And now I think seriously before I answer him.

As I told him just now, I don't know if I want to go back, but as he also said, staying here won't make me forget or get over what happened.

"Do you want me to come back?" I ask smiling at him, just to relax this tense moment.

"I do. And I want it very much." He says looking into my eyes.

"Before I answer, let me ask you something. Did you happen to tell anyone that I am here and if I don't agree to come back with you, will they come and take me by force?" I ask and he immediately denies it.

"No. I haven't told anyone, and even if I had, if you don't want to come back, I wouldn't let anyone do anything to you without your permission," he assures me and I agree, getting up.

"Then let's go back." I raise my hands in an animated pretense and he laughs, getting up as well.

He starts walking excitedly in front of me toward the house and I call out to him, causing him to stop and turn toward me.

"Although it was my desire to be alone, I was already feeling kind of lonely. So thank you for coming," I thank him and he approaches me again, pulling me into a hug.

"You can always count on me, Madison Stone."