Charter Thirty One

Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

November 21, 2022.

Madison Stone's Point Of View.

I stop my car in the cemetery parking lot and get out of the car carrying the flowers I bought, heading towards the entrance of the cemetery.

After I dropped Andrey off at his house, I came straight here. I wanted to come before going to school, but after the conversation I had with my mother, I ended up having to go straight to school so as not to be late and when I saw Alexander, I was so outraged that I forgot about my friend for the next few hours, which makes me feel bad.

I stop in front of his tombstone and crouch down, placing the flowers I bought on top of it.

"Hi Anthony. It's me.. it's been a month since we last talked, right?"

I look around and remember the awful feeling I felt the last time I was here, the same feeling I'm feeling now.

"I just came here to give you these flowers and tell you that I still water and take care of your plants. I also want to tell you that your house is still clean and just the way you left it and that I make sure that it is, not letting anyone touch anything and cleaning it myself."

I giggle slightly, as I imagine the relief he must be feeling if he heard what I said, since he has always been a cleaning maniac.

"But what I really came to tell you is that I love you and that I miss you in my life," and it is inevitable not to let any tears fall from my eyes.

I've been coping better with the loss of him, because I've had to move on, but completely accepting that I won't have him in my life anymore, I don't think I ever will.

"Bye buddy. Thank you for staying by my side until the last moment. Your Miss Stone loves you," I kiss my fingertips and place them over his name, getting up afterwards and after looking one last time at his grave, I leave.

...

After putting the car in the garage, I get out of it and enter my house, passing through the hallway where the laundry room, the kitchen and the dining room are and arriving in the living room, where I see my mother and Christopher sitting on the couch while drinking something in their respective cups and chatting.

"Madison, where have you been? I called Andrey and he said that you had left him at your house quite a while ago," and I just walk toward the stairs without giving it too much importance.

"I was at the cemetery," and when I place my feet on the stairway step my mother makes a noise of denial, causing me to turn to face the couple of friends.

"What were you doing there?"

"I went to deliver flowers to Anthony. Today is a month since he died," and from the expression she makes, I can see that she didn't even remember that.

"Oh my love, come here," I walk over to her and she puts the coffee cup on the table next to some cookies and snacks, hugging me soon after. "Are you okay? Sit here," and I do as she asks.

"I'm fine, it's just painful to know that he's not here anymore."

"I'm sorry, Madison," Christopher says and I just nod my head in agreement.

"Christopher told me that Alexander is back teaching. Did he do or say anything to you?"

"He didn't do or say anything that surprised me. He just played the victim and said that justice will believe him and not me."

"You didn't tell me that," Christopher comments seriously.

"I didn't even remember that. I just wanted to let you know he was back. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"We're going to do a protest tomorrow," I speak and both of them widen their eyes.

"Who are you referring to when you say 'we'? And what protest are you going to do?" Christopher asks.

I explain to them the idea that me and the guys had and talk about the account we created with the intention of attracting more people who don't like Alexander and Williams.

"Can we see this account?" My mom asks and I agree.

I pick up my cell phone and see my mom's missed calls, but since I'm already here, I just ignore them and click on Instagram, putting it on the account and showing it to them.

"All students who felt disrespected by Alexander or Williams and did not like the teacher's return, are invited to protest tomorrow at the school entrance in favor of their removal or even dismissal. We wait for you." Christopher reads what is in the post and then looks at me.

"Can this hinder them in any way, Christopher?" my mother asks.

"They may be suspended, perhaps, but I don't think it will hinder the case, on the contrary, it will give more visibility."

"Great. This is what we want," I say.

"You said that by tomorrow justice will tell you what you have to do, right?" And Christopher agrees with what my mother says.

"Yes."

"Uhm... now that I've explained where I was and what I was doing, I will excuse you guys to talk and go take a shower," I say getting up and notice that they look at each other.

"Daughter, I wanted to tell you that I have started looking for a new house for us to live in," and I sit down again in shock.

I agreed to her idea, because I gave my condition so that we could move, but I didn't think she would want to leave here so quickly.

"You're not going to sell this house, are you?" I ask, because this is my biggest concern about it. I like this house, I have lived here since I was born, and there is Anthony's house, so I am not willing to give it up.

"No. If you like it here, I won't sell it or rent it until you let me and you can come here whenever you want."

"Really?"

"Yes." And that comforts me. "Can I keep looking for a new home?" And I agree smiling, because I know it is something important to her since she separated from my father.

"If it's that way, yes," she pulls me into a hug and then looks at Christopher.

"Come here you too."

He smiles moving closer and hugs us too, making me think or even feel for a moment that this will be my family in a while.